Reef46: 95gal Wave Tank Diary

reef46

I'm making the transfer now. I will have pics of everything tomorrow

I have my corals in a holding tank until I get all of my lighting situated.

v8eater

I dont think that t-5's are going to penetrate all the way to the bottom of that tank sufficiently due to the depth. I would go with Halides if you want more exotic corals.

reef46

I'm an easy guy to please...all I'm looking to keep are softies and some LPS (frogspawn, torch, ect.) Although I would like to keep SPS I would not be able to afford changing the MH bulbs every 6 months.

rcbruce

I have a 90 standard with T-5's and life is good! It's always easy to recommend the biggest and badest on the market, but not everyone needs that. I prefer soft swaying corals over hard acro's, which, other than clams, are about the only things I can't have!
I just upgraded from a 55 to my 90. You will love the difference reef46, or is it reef95 now?

aquaknight

Most of the montipora's (cap. or digi.) you could keep (have mine under PCs lol). Probably bird's nest or something like that if they're close to the top of the tank too.

reef46

that is a thought. I always liked those plating montis. I might have to look into that alittle more after I get my lights situated.

reef46

Sam, I need some help with the skimmer. I cannot get it to produce bubbles at all. DId you have some type of airstone in it? I know my seaclone 100 has a tube that puts air into the power head. Did you somehow attach one of those? Your help is greatly appreciated.

reef46

Here's a pic of my attempted aquascaping. (water is ait cloudy from all the moving of the rocks.) It looks so bare w/o my corals. I have them sitting in a rubbermaid with a powerhead and heater under pc's until I get my canopy/t5's complete.

bpaul1201

you going to be adding more? it still loks a lil bare!
i'm so jealous!! i hate my roommate for ditching me, otherwise this would be my thread! well looking good i'll be watching!

reef46

Yeah, that rock was wall to wall in my 46, I had to but some of it in my sump. I'll definatly have to get somemore LR because I only have about 75 lbs now.

bpaul1201

cool sound like a plan what other fish are you thinking about getting for the tank besides the clowns? one other thing how deep is the sand bed? any cleaning crew?

reef46

As of right now the stock list is:
2 perc clowns
1 LM Blenny
1 blue hippo
1 yellow tang
I need to get a bigger cleaning crew as all of my livestock came from my 46.
Corals will look like frags in this tank but I will have:
frogspawn
yellow polyps
various zoas
GSP
Xenia
Shrooms
I would like to add another cool fish, not shure yet which one
I wouls also like to getr wall to wall coral but that's gonna take a long, long, long, long time as I have No money
ANy suggested additions?

reef46

Ahhh...I've been so caught up in everything going on with my tank, I FORGOT to paint the background
. I'd like it to go black for contrast, as I had my bowfront. I guess I'll be draining the water

bpaul1201

you dont have to paint the inside you can paint the outside or you can get one of those cool looking vinlys to stick to the back of the tank that make it look like you have more then what you have! has for additions i'd recommend a pygmy angel or someting small cause you already have 2 tangs that are going to be swimming back and forth! or a wrasse there cool too!

aquaknight

Yea, I have a vinyl background on my 29. Looks good, just gotta put it on like a decal with water and 'squeegee' it tight to the glass, otherwise you'll get air bubbles when viewed from the sides.
For fish yea, a pygmy angel would be cool, a flame angel with it's bright red would contrast nicely with the bright blue and yellow tangs. A leopard wrasse would be awesome, but I'd wait for the tank to establish a bit. Or my last thought, 2 or 3 anthias (lyretails are my fav. and easiest to keep). Though you'd have to have a fairly capable skimmer and be able to feed 2/3x a day.

reef46

Originally Posted by bpaul1201
you dont have to paint the inside you can paint the outside or you can get one of those cool looking vinlys to stick to the back of the tank that make it look like you have more then what you have! has for additions i'd recommend a pygmy angel or someting small cause you already have 2 tangs that are going to be swimming back and forth! or a wrasse there cool too!

Yeah, I guess I wan't very clear. Lol, I wasnt going to paint the inside of the tank. I think that would be toxic! I need to drain the water to move the tank away from the wall. it sits about 2 inches away and I cant fit a spray can there.

reef46

I've got some bad news. AS some of you know I was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago and my fiance's car is totaled. This has put us in a bit of a financial bind as we both need cars with work and such. I'm not possitive as of right now but I might have to sell the wave tank. :( I will let everyone know.