Reefing Opinions (nano style)

-shawn-

Form my last post small reef. I have done some research. I am going to go on ahead and take a plonge it NANO-reefing.
And I would appreciate all the insight and critisism of all the readers.
I am going to do a 5-7 gallon tank. I would like to do a dead sand bed with plenum-- seeded with some live sand (florida, figi, aquaculture type?)-- and live rock for filteration. (Equation for amount of sand would be helpful) And weekly 1-2 gallon water changes. Any other recomandations on filteration? (ie. skimmers, filters, overflow, etc.)
I would also like some input on what I should use for water movement? (powerhead, air pump, filter, etc?)
I am planning on building an open canopy to fit a retro 26 watt (one 13 w 6400 k white light and 13 w one moonlight blue light)pc kit into and cover the top of the tank with a glass top, to prevent evaporation. (or should I leave it open for cooling?)
Inhabitants will be stricly corals, and of course inverts for cleaning.
Anything I might have overlooked please feel free to add.
I would also like to know if any one would be willing to donate or resonably sell coral clipping once the tank is up and running? I think some/ most of the stuff in the LFS I have been to might be a bit big for the tank.
Thanks for being patient and reading all of this. Please feel free to give me your opinions.
[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: H2O-boy ]
[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: H2O-boy ]

broomer5

H2O-boy,
I've seen some pretty cool nano-reefs at various websites.
One in particular caught my eye, but I can't recall the site. A search would produce a lot of sites to check out.
The nano I saw had a 5 gallon display with good lighting and a small overflow to a huge sump. Small skimmer and heater in the sump, and return pump back up. The tank was beautiful.
Don't know if you want to keep everything self contained in the display tank, but this large sump allowed the owner to overcome some of the difficulties associated with a 5 gallon system. After you get the substrate, LR, heater, corals and critters in a 5 gallon tank, there's not much room left for water.
I wish you luck,
Brian