Reefready or Not??

juddster

I am ordering a new 90g tank. The guy in the lfs suggested i get a ehim professional canister filter with the trickle system, i was thinking of getting a wet/dry and a predrilled tank. Whats your opinion on the rite way to go?? I want to set up a basic reef tank with some fish as well. Your responses and opinions are appreciated!

stacyt

I agree that predrilled is the way to go. I wouldn't use a wet dry myself. You can easily make a sump/refugium yourself. Probably save lots of $$$ making a filtration setup yourself. I would put as big a tank as you can for the filtration setup.

stacyt

There are a couple of ways to do this. You can buy check valves that you can put on the return line. When the power goes out it will prevent the return line from back flowing.
The other way is to drill small holes in the return line just below the water line. When there is a loss of power the return line will backflow until the water level drops below the hole in the return line. When the water gets below the hole it will start sucking air through the hole, and this will break the siphon. You just need to make sure that the sump will hold a little extra water.

jmgrn

Oceanic reef ready tanks are built with a small hole drilled into the return elbow for the express purpose of not allowing the tank to siphon drain into the sump and create an overflow. I know this for a fact, have had a 180 and currently a 120, and have NEVER had a problem with the sump overflowing as the result of power outage. From time to time, you should use a toothpick to make sure some little critter hasnt clogged the tiny hole in the elbow, but other than that, its a foolproof design, ask your dealer to show you.

jmgrn

I'm not sure about All-Glass tanks, you can check with your dealer, or email All-Glass, or use a 1/16" drill bit to make the hole yourself. The holes on mine are located on the underside of the return elbow, in the corner. All you need is a small hole there to break the siphon, so when when the power goes out, you dont have a big surprise on your living room floor. If your tank has two returns, drill both elbows. Good luck.

stacyt

The aga has the hole in the return elbow as well, but I would still recommend the other options as well, just to be on the safe side.