Refinishing Hardwood floors

litlepig11

Hello we are refinishing the floors in our "new" house before we move in...there is an area that is really damanged...like water or animal pee...idk...its super dark...we are stripping and finishing the floors a light almost white color...any ideas on special treatment to this area (ive tried a bit of bleach)...or should they be replaced...or...idk anything...
we havent started the sanding yet...but i dont forsee black sanding up....any home improvment masters out there

gypsana

You can get a wood bleaching kit. I think a company called Jasco still sells them. I will check and let you know.

small triggers

bleach isnt going to do anything, its water damage. Do you know if its nailed or glued down??? it its nailed down rip it up and flip it over,, or replace it if you can find the same exact species (not so easy if the house is over 10 years old) or if a neighbor is removing flooring (I know not to likely but hey,,, just an idea). but it looks like water damage and it usually penetrates the top 1/2 inch so you cannot sand it down to good wood usually,,,

small triggers

OR if you can find something really close, rip out the boards in a closet and replace with new and use the closet boards for replacement,,,,, just a thought

gypsana

Urine causes uric salt crystals to turn tannins in the wood dark. Tannins can also be released by any moisture source. If is was urine then the stain is harder is not impossible to get out. But there is a possibility that the Oxalic Acid followed by sanding may save you the chore of replacement of the boards by drawing out some of the tannins. It is not expensive and worth a shot IMO. soaking the area with an enzyme cleaner prior to the bleaching may also help. I am not saying that this will work for sure but in my experience with contractors this method has been successful in some cases. Good luck!

reefforbrains

Sand the whole surface and THEN start with chems.
Worst case scenario you are forced to go with a darker color than originally desired.
Best case, you know exactly what the stain looks like and how far/deep it penetrates. Attack with chem once you have a better picture of what you are looking at.

litlepig11

thanks guys...lots more options to look at...i dont think i will have this ready to finish by monday
...lol...i am assuming the boards are nailed down... the house was built in 62...all the closets are really small do you think it would be okay to pull the boards from under where the tank is going and replace them w/ these water damanged ones...or new ones? in removeing the water stained area should i remove the whole board or just cut off the damaged part? thanks again...
oh idah...the ones from under where our bed goes....

bulldog123

I would call an expert and after he tells you what he would do and how much it will cost just do it yourself. He should give you all the answers for free of course not knowing you have no plans on using him. Run all these options by him. Go luck I know I would not want to replace boards in the middle of the floor. Also there are places out there that have old floors refinished for sale.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/3048015
I would call an expert and after he tells you what he would do and how much it will cost just do it yourself. He should give you all the answers for free of course not knowing you have no plans on using him. Run all these options by him. Go luck I know I would not want to replace boards in the middle of the floor. Also there are places out there that have old floors refinished for sale.
No matter what you do the floor is going to have to be sanded and refinished ,so you best bet is going to be to replace and refinish.

chilwil84

sand it first so u really know what problems u have. replacing it with boards from a closet is an option but the floors are probably pine by the looks of it and can be replaced pretty cheaply though it wont be as good of quality and the old pine was.