reflectors added onto flourscent bulbs

vince

I've read that by adding reflectors to your flourscent bulbs, it will make the intensity stronger. How does this work ?
thank you again for taking your time to read my post. I greatly apprecieate it.

corky

You can purchase reflective material for you lighting fixtures that does intensify or direct more light into the tank. They usually come in specific sizes to fit 24"-48" fixtures. There are cheaper alternatives. Also, flourescent bulbs are offered with 360 degree output or with a reflector inside the bulb(these costing a few more bucks).

twoods71

Like corky pretty much said reflectors will help a great deal.
The difference with and without a reflective device made a huge difference for me.

vince

would the reflectors subsitute / or do a similar job equal to MH or VHO/PCs?
I know many have recommended to me that I should use MH , vho or PCs but I'm trying to stay in a line with flourscent lights.

orby

absolutly not, reflecters only direct the given light down increasing it a little. PC, VHO, and MH are far more intense lighting.

vince

k, thank you. you saved me. ;)
could anyone give me a link where i can find pictures of vho/ pc / mh?

jond

Do a web search for "aquarium lighting" and you should turn up a good lighting source with pictures and descriptions.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Vince, VHO and PC's are basically florescent lights, but more intense than your standard normal output of standard florescents.
Also, links, except to your own personal webpage, are not allowed on this BB.

vince

sorry Beth, my apologies.
You stated that VHO, PCs are basically flourscent lights?
so do they come in "bulbs"? I mean, can I just purchase the bubls and replace them with whatever I have right now?
or do I have to buy an entire new set of lightings for my hood?
thanks again, and I apologize for so many questions.

orby

VHO and PC's require their own special ballast so yes you would need to buy a whole new lighting system.