Refractometer Calibration & MH lighting Time

bbb

The other day I got my refractometer (one like on this site, has ATC) and put a couple drops of RO/DI water to calibrate it. I calibrated it at 75 degrees. Is it a big deal that I didn't calibrate it at 68 degrees?
We had an electrician help us get my 400 watt metal halide hooked up. It came with my uncles tank when I bought it and he had it hooked up some wierd way. The electrician fixed it for us but said it looked like a fire hazard to him. I'll only be able to run it when someone is home. Is it okay if I can't have it running on a timer?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by BBB
The other day I got my refractometer (one like on this site, has ATC) and put a couple drops of RO/DI water to calibrate it. I calibrated it at 75 degrees. Is it a big deal that I didn't calibrate it at 68 degrees?
We had an electrician help us get my 400 watt metal halide hooked up. It came with my uncles tank when I bought it and he had it hooked up some wierd way. The electrician fixed it for us but said it looked like a fire hazard to him. I'll only be able to run it when someone is home. Is it okay if I can't have it running on a timer?
The teperature Does not really matter but i heard you should calibrate with only distilled water!

bbb

The instructions say either is fine.

Originally Posted by Instructions
Adjustment of the null (also called calibration): Open the daylight plate. Drop one or two drops of distilled water or R.O water on the prism...

helipilot

I was told that calibrating your refractometer to zero could result in errors because you aren't testing for zero, you are testing for salinity. I found this article and method of calibrating a refractomer much more accurate. *Link Removed*

reckler

I don't understand what you mean about having a fire hazard and a refractometer. are your light hooked to a circuit that is pulling to much amperage? or are the lights in bad shape? :notsure:

bbb

Originally Posted by reckler
I don't understand what you mean about having a fire hazard and a refractometer. are your light hooked to a circuit that is pulling to much amperage? or are the lights in bad shape? :notsure:
Sorry, I had two seperate questions. I don't know what part of it he thinks is a fire hazard. I just know my dad came home with the light and said the electrician said it looked like a fire hazard. If I can find the cord to my camera I'll take some pics, if that'll help.
Helipilot- I tried copying and pasting the address and it said the page didn't exist.

bbb

Originally Posted by helipilot
Sorry, You are right, it doesn't exist any more. I've got it, but don't know how to get it to you.
If I post my e-mail could you mail it to me?
I'll try to find my cable so I can post some pics.

bbb

Other Pics
1 and 2 are the 400 watt bulb
3 is a temporay canopy my uncle used (we've built a new one just haven't finished it)
4 is the VHO Balast

reckler

yeah, that doen't look real safe. I am an electrician and when I run across things like that I try to rewire it.
I would go to radio shack and get some heat shrink for 16 to 18 awg wire. Everywhere the sheathing on the wire is broken you want to wrap it with the heat shrink. next I would make sure all of the stakeons are criped real tight and the wire won't pull out of them. if you can find a plastic box that ballast would fit into. i would try to retro fit that thing in it. the ballast looks to be a multi tap ballast and the cappasitor next to it is also called a starter. you don't want to get electrocuted off tht thing trust me. depending on the size of lamp required, some starters hold upto 50,000 volt, even when the power is off. like a tazzer.
if you need more help email me and I will draw you a layout of the wireing,
reckler6069@comcast.net

acrylic51

Looks really sloppy and should be enclosed in a box......I'd redo all the connections....If you actually took apart a MH ballast you'd purchase in the store the exact same parts are used, but they are done alot neater.......Just clean up the wiring and encase it.

bbb

Thanks. I'll have to mention those to my dad and let him help me with it.
Reckler- You might have some mail if my dad doesn't know how to do what you're talking about. I have your e-mail now if you want to delete it.

bbb

I had a space after it when I typed it. If it dosn't work again I'll post my yahoo address when I get home.