Refractometer Help

jba6511

they correspond with each other if I am not mistaken. you want an s.g between 1.023 -1.026. I keep mine at 1.025 which is 34

petjunkie

Refractometers can only test salinity, the other side is an estimate of about where it would be on specific gravity, not a true reading. I aim for 35ppt.

S

saltyshogun

I also shoot for a reading of 35 and haven't had any problems.

dawman

Originally Posted by petjunkie
Refractometers can only test salinity, the other side is an estimate of about where it would be on specific gravity, not a true reading. I aim for 35ppt.

True , but the equation will still be the same .

92protruck

fwiw, I don't think they can test salinity either. I think a refractometer can only test the refractive index of the fluid placed on the prism (the bend in the light). The refractive index is then applied to a formula to come up with a salinity or sg in the case of units sold for use in the aquarium hobby. Both units of measure are fixed together on the refractometer so I too don't get why everybody says ignore the sg. I understand that sg has to be compensated for temperature where as salinity is not effected by temp but in the case of a refractometer reading they are both tied together.