Refractometer

airforceb2

Hey guys,
I was just surfing around on the net and found a refractometer for $42.99. I was wondering if brand played any part in these things or if it was pretty straight forward with telling the SG and Salinity. Thanks.

who dey

it's probably more accurate than a swing arm, but you also get what you pay for. your call

airforceb2

That is what I figured. I'm not 100% sure on how these work but I thought I would ask the "online pros" first. I'll probably just save up and buy one that I know will last beyond the life of my tank and not let me down. Thanks.

buzzword

Hey AirForce!! USAFA GOOOO AIR FOrce Fight Fight Fight. Grew up on the Air Force Academy had to do it. went to 3 games last year. Sorry off tangent. But seriously buy that refractometer!! I just bought the same one and it is great. My LFS guys sell it at their place for around $70. And it is the same model they use. I love it, so much better than a swing arm! And thanks for the comments on my tank.

airforceb2

Hey Buzz,
I went the enlisted route, I wanted to earn a real pay check (sorry but I have to keep the battle alive). I couldn't believe the deal when i saw it, the "Portable Refrac". I might get that along with a skimmer on that site. Their lights are totally out of the question though. BTW, as soon as we can post pics on the site again, I'll put up a pic of my Surfline. I can't wait to get all the essentials so I can actually get some water in there.
One last question WAY off subject. I have a couple friends in Guam right now and was wondering if I could put some LR from the ocean in my "curing tank" to seed some dead rock i have? If so, that would be awesome. Thanks.

slammy16

I got a refractometer off the auction website. IT looks better than the one on this website and i payed less than what it goes for on swf.com. I would trust this thing over any hydrometer any day.

buzzword

Hey, I know it will seed the dead rock after a few weeks of curing but try to make sure your not getting to many detrimental hitchickers. Just put it in your curing tank with a powerhead, heater and if you have an extra skimmer do that too. Good luck.