refuge questions.

fat clown

I had this in the DIY forum but got no response so I was hoping someone here might be able to help.
I have an old HOB filter that I was thinking of turning into a refuge for pod growth and for nitrate's, would or should I run a light on the hob refuge if i use plants or should the light from the tank be enough. I have a 40 gall tank with 4 65w 10k pc and 4 65 w atinics.
What I was going to do was put some sand/mud and a couple small LR chunks in the filter does that sound about right (never worked with a refuge)
I know the turn over is going to be fast so what type of plant would you recomend for that type of water flow?
Other filtration in the tank is around 55# of LR, ehiem canister filter and a aquaC remora. Thanks in advace for any help or input.

reefrobert

I am turn my skilter 250 in to a refuge with cheatomorpha aglae to help with pods, nitrates and po4. you need a light on them to grow, so 12 hours i have my tank lights on, and the other 12 hours my refuge light is on. This will help with h2o in the water as well as the ph level in your tank at night.

a2hotz

Maybe Im thinking of this wrong but wouldnt the mud and junk get stuck in the impeller and ruin it?

candycane

Won't work. Tried it, again and again. Surface area is to small. Everything gets spit out before it can reproduce.

fat clown

Maybe Im thinking of this wrong but wouldnt the mud and junk get stuck in the impeller and ruin it?
the sand/mud would be after the water is brought into the hob so it would never get close to it and it would just trikle the water back into the tank waterfall style.

bang guy

Skip the sand & mud. the small rocks will provide surface area for pods. Not a lot of pods but enough to make it worthwhile.