Refugium and UV question

spiked09

I am considering adding a refugium to my system. I am thinking of using a 20gal tank placed above my sump so it can gravity feed back to the sump. I am reading anything and everything I can find on refugiums but the one thing that I can't seem to find a answer to is if it is even worth having a refugium if I am running a UV sterilizer. I found a post that mentioned using a UV would just kill anything/everything that I was attempting to grow in my fuge so it would be pointless.
Basically I want a fuge for the live food aspect, I am not looking for better filtration at this point. I just want to introduce pods into my main tank.

pchromis

Originally Posted by spiked09
I am considering adding a refugium to my system. I am thinking of using a 20gal tank placed above my sump so it can gravity feed back to the sump. I am reading anything and everything I can find on refugiums but the one thing that I can't seem to find a answer to is if it is even worth having a refugium if I am running a UV sterilizer. I found a post that mentioned using a UV would just kill anything/everything that I was attempting to grow in my fuge so it would be pointless.
Basically I want a fuge for the live food aspect, I am not looking for better filtration at this point. I just want to introduce pods into my main tank.

I would go with a refugium, especially if you are doing a reef tank. But the refugium keeps nitrates way down, maybe to 0. That in itself is worth it whether you are doing FO, FOWLR, or Reef.
The fuge macroalgae and sand bed do a superb job for tank water.

stanlalee

UV wont kill everything. Wont even kill parasites unless its high powered and has a low flow rate going thru it. I dont think it kills pods and larve and such at practicle wattages and flowrates. Could be wrong though.

acrylic51

Running a fuge and UV at the same time won't negate each other....As mentioned above it will have very little if any effect on your pod population