Refugium inhabitants.

spyderreef

I moved all of my fish out of my 29gal and I am ready to turn it into a refugium. I still have a starfish and a spiney urchin in the tank. Can they stay in there when I turn it into a refugium? I don't know what kind of starfish it is. The urchin is cool, black and white with and orange center and a blue ring. I've heard bad things about them it a reef but don't want to sell him. I am replacing the crushed coral with sand. How deep? How do I start the macro algaes? Is this something my LFS store will carry? I am starting this refugium because of this board. I appreciate the advice. Also is a 15 watt strip light enough. I am using the one that came with the tank.

I wouldn't keep the inverts in your refugium, I belive that they are better off in your 125 gallon tank. Your star would certainly have a better area to work with as far as food. Probably ditto with the urchin.
Bang guy is the refugium expert and he recommends only bug and worm type critters for a refigium. There were a few recent threads on this subject, so try a forum search to get those relies.
You will definitely want your fuge to be a good place for pods to grow without predation, especially if you have a mandarin in your display tank.
You want your sand bed to be 4-6" deep. Try this link for a cool sand calculator:
http://www.cyberreefguru.com/calc/sand_cost.html
Both LFS and online suppliers sell macroalgae.
You probably want more light, but I am not the right person to ask about that.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck
-Christine
:)

spyderreef

Thanks for the info. I need to ID my starfish so I will try and post a pic. I already have a star in my 125. My newest tank is a 120. I noticed that you live in Mpls. Do you belong to a club? Do you buy most of your supplies on-line or is there a LFS that you like? You can e-mail me at lori@atraffic.com.

Lori,
I don't belong to a club yet, but I hear there is one. I have gone to A World of Fish and Something Fishy in Richfield. I find them expensive and somewhat hard to deal with. I think that I will pretty much go online from now on. Much better prices for sure. How about you?
-Christine

spyderreef

I know someone who services tanks for a living. I usually will buy most things from him. I've been to Something Fishy and World of Fish. I buy mostly hard goods from them. I have yet to order on-line but I might try it soon. The more I know the more I feel I don't know. I like the info. I get from this board. How big is your tank and what kinds of corals and fish do you have?