Refugium Setup

csufman

I have a 20 gal tank i am setting up as a refugium for my 40 gal reef tank. I planned on using my Fluval 304 as a return pump(since I already have it). Will this work? Can I use regular play sand for the DSB in the refugium (since I picked up the wrong brand)? I will seed it with live sand from main tank. Any input on what will work best is greatly appreciated.

F

fish fool

csufan, if you have the plans for your refugium I would really like to see them. I live in Fresno too.

F

fish fool

csufan, if you have the plans for your refugium I would really like to see them. I live in Fresno too.

johnnysalt

Whether you use the "wrong brand" of sand in your display tank or refugium makes NO difference.....you'll have the same algae bloom either way!
about plumbing: are you going to use an overflow box to supply the refugium?
:cool:

D

diatom

The playsand you bought will be fine. Grain size is more important then composition of the sand. Contrary to Johnny is alluding to this silca sand will not cause an algae bloom.

daluminum

That should be a statement more than a question. "You ARE using a overflow box" It was the best thing I bought for my sump. spend the money and get one. :p

csufman

I will be using an overflow, I am not sure what manufacturer to buy. I was looking at Lifereef and Amiracle. Any suggestions?