refugium setup

smember

hello,
I am setting up a refugium for my reef tank. I am using an old 29 gallon tank and have already installed the baffles, I am going to use the old protein skimmer but I want this to eventually replace my old sump style wet/dry. I was hoping to get some opinions about different substrates and how deep it should be. how much lighting for the macroalgae? I was looking at a small single bulb powercompact 36w with a daylight bulb, is this enough? Also I currently run a 500gph pump, will this be too much water flow in that 29 gallon refugium? Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

jedininja

Tell us more about how you are going to set this up. Are you runing both a fuge and a sump? Or are you using the protien skimmer in your fuge? Is the pump the return pump is is that water flowing in your fuge?
If the entire 19 gallons will be covered by substrate, I think a DSB might be a good idea But if any of it is blocked off for pump and stuff, an inch or two sandbed is enough. For the macro algae, I just use a cheap 45 watt powercompact bulb from home depot. The one thats made to use in screw in lighting for your home. This works really great and my macro has grown 10 folds since the time i setup my fuge 2 months ago.

smember

actually its a 29 gallon tank 30" in length. I have baffles on the intake side of 6" and a baffle on the return side of 10" to fit the skimmer and return pump. The actual refugium area is 14lx12wx22h. I want to slowly replace my current filter(the sump, so I can use it on a new tank). The tank that it will filter is 65 gallon which was set up November 1 and will house all soft corals as i have only 220W of power compact lighting. I guess my main concern is the algae and secondly the trace elements released by arag or mineral mud