Refugium substrate?

gradth

I have a 20gal long refugium I just finished putting together. My LFS guy swears by Miracle Mud. What are my other choices besides mud. I know the benifits of mud, but nothing about my other options.
I have searched here about Miracle Mud, and I have gotten mixed opinions and one person that hates it and keeps quoting a "study he saw once" but nothing to go with that comment. Can someone provide me with some REAL feedback on MM and or my other options for my refugium. I would like to get it up and going this week.
Also as far as the actual plantlife and what not, what is the best way to go about that?
Thank you

sickboy

I've been researching this as well as i'm setting up my refugium, and it seems that people prefer a Deep Sand Bed over the mud.

It doesn't really matter what you use for substrate, MM, Crushed coral, or sand. If you want to use a deep sand bed any of these will be fine. The bacteria and critters will come in time. I used MM in my first fuge and it worked, but now I have sand and it works fine. I don't use that much, I have about 4 inches of sand in my fuge. I think its more important to have cheato or some other macro for nutrient export.

gradth

Does it need to be live sand or crushed coral? I have some crushed coral sitting around that I was gonna use for some other project that didnt happen. Will the Cheato and or other plants grow the same in that as Miracle Mud?

It doesn't have to be live sand. I would use some type of small grain sand over CC. Cheato will grow on a bare bottom tank, it doesn't need any substrate.