Refugium/Sump Setup for Dual Overflow

euphoria

Hello,
do any of you guys who have big tanks w/ dual overflows have any diagrams of your setup that I can look at? I don't know how to exactly setup the dual overflow outputs into the sump, protein skimmer, and refugium area.
thanks

thetrex

I have a 90 with dual over flows. I will send you some pictures later today after work. What you problem with the set up.

euphoria

I see we have another BMW lover here. Nice choice.
Yeah if it's no trouble, please email me some pics. Anything helps.
Thanks

jer4916

i'll send you pix in about 2 days.
bmws are amazing :)
i have a 89 e30 325i. mint condition, body kit..etc
racing cams ...etc
i put out around 430HP :)
it'll snap your neck if your not careful

euphoria

Cool man I"ll wait for the pics.
I have the car you see in my sig and also a 2004 745. I was gonna get the 6 series, but opted for the 7 series cuz I'm getting married and need a bigger family car.
That's some crazy hp you got on your car man. Is it a coupe or a sedan? What kind of tires are you running for traction?

jer4916

its a 4 door, so insurrance is mucho cheap ;) ...NICE 7 series..there sexy...but WAY out of my price range..( i have the whole college thing going on still) ..i use z rated tires...on 17 inch rims.
i lowered the car by 2 inchs and the body kit makes it look 3 inchs lower then stock..so im sitting about 2 inchs off the ground..makes for killer stearing, front and rear strut bars. bavarian turbo, new cams, new fuel pump, short shifter, new intake new dual exhaust, racing chip, rebuilt engine, different gear ratio in the trans than stock...list goes on....
its fun as all get out to drive.
lets just say not many people beat me when we race :)

jer4916

thats pretty much how mines set up, but mine doesn't have a protein skimmer..... i have an ecosystem
note to the other bmw owner...
my baby and i got a ticket to day for racing :( ....
but on a high note i got around it ..and got off with a incorrect lane change :)
only $94
far cry from over $700 in tickets and loosing my license
hehe
still makes me said though :(

euphoria

Thanks for the image SQUIDD. I wish you were my neighbor man, I'd pay you to setup my tank :D
I definitely want 2 skimmers in it.
BMW LOVER - don't even complain about your ticket. I've had my good share of tickets and fix-it tickets. Once they see a modified car it's over, they think you are most likely out racing. :D

euphoria

Originally Posted by Squidd
Big tank, dual overflow, effecient S/F layout..
SQUIDD - I"m assuming left side is skimmer, right side is refugium, and middle is return pumps right? So to make right side not have too much flow, would I use a smaller diameter pipe?
Also, since I"ll have 2 skimmers, where would I arrange them? I think it wouldn't make sense to have 2 skimmers next to each other on one side of the overflow. I was thinking one skimmer to each overflow. So one skimmer on left side, one on right, then refugium and return in the middle ???????? What would you say?
Or should I get rid of the skimmer I have and get just one bigger skimmer instead?
Thanks a lot

norway

this is how i would do it.....makes each overflow independant of each other and allows you to restrict flow to refugium without adding pressure to overflow plumbing on the left side. im not sure what gph you should have through the refugium but i know it isnt high.