refugium-sump

gritchie2

Refugium-sump
OK I will ask your expert and novice openions on two things related to my tank. I have a 125g reef tank with a sump of about 40 gallons. In the sump a have my skimmer ev-180, a section of DSB a section with live rock and some plants then the section that has the return pump. The tank has been set up about 5 years and the sump was up graded and set up like this for about two years.
First off what do you think about the set up??
There was a large population of pods in the sump, Im talking thousands there was also some build up a stuff detrious I guess it is called on the bottom, the only way I could get rid of it was to mix it up in the sump then it would pump into the display tank do a water change then my filter sock would get the rest.
So I added two green britol stars, the keep it spotless no jump on the bottom at all but they must have ate most of the pods. I plan on getting the stars out. Next question.
What will keep the sump floor clean as the stars yet not eat my pods?

natclanwy

Snails and hermits would probably be your best bet, but I have never noticed my Green brittle star eating pods. Are you sure you don't have something else going on?
Forgot to mention your sump/fuge looks fine they only thing I would change is the check valve on your return, check valves are useless in a saltwater tank too many critters like to make their homes on the sealing surface which causes them to leak. Plus they restrict your pump.

gritchie2

no I am not sure the stars are eating the pods just assumed, the pod population has droped like crazy and the only changed in the sump aera of my tank was the stars, could it be the stars are eating all the pods food?? not sure what the pods eat. but with the stars there is no crud in there at all, i even feed them from time to time they go crazy for any thing that goes in there.

natclanwy

It could be that they are reducing the food supply and in return the pod population is reduced because there isn't as much food available.

gritchie2

any way i think i will get them out, if there is anybody in the Orange county aera Fountain Valley CA willing to trade them for a hand full of hermits or snails send me a message there is two green brittle stars, prety big, the body is close to the size of a quarter. if too much stuff builds up i will look for another alternitive. and i will moniter the podd population.
I think I will add lots of hermits

natclanwy

You could just allow the pods to take care of the dietrus, unless you are having nutrient issues the dietrus build up is only an aesthetic problem.

gritchie2

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/3022520
You could just allow the pods to take care of the dietrus, unless you are having nutrient issues the dietrus build up is only an aesthetic problem.
I was having issues with hi trates and having som alage issues, so in trying to correct this i started limmiting my lighting to 7hrs per day and put the stars in the sump to help clean.

natclanwy

Limiting your lights isn't really a solution for algae, all it does is delay the problem. If you don't control nutrient source as soon as you return to your normal lighting schedule the algae problem will return.
What does your CUC for your DT consist of and what size tank are you running?
If the dietrus returns, I would use a few snails and hermits to help keep the sump clean. Just be sure that you have a way to keep the snail away from your pump intakes.

gritchie2

CUC not sure what this is, in the morning I will test and post results with some pics from DT the display tank is a 125 tall.

gritchie2

trates were really high like 50, have been doing water change of 25 gal every week. with tropic marine and RO mixed at LFS h have tested it for trates a few times allways 0 and 0 phosphates.