refugium / sump

williamrandel

i am thinking about making a refugium/ sump all in one unit. just wondering if this will work. the drain from the tank will be on 1 end , main sump area in the middle seperated by bubble trap, and the refugium will be isolated on the other with overflow back into the main part of the sump. also would it be better to plumb the drain with a tee to take water to the refuge or should i use a low flow powerhead to take water from the sump the to refuge. any advice would be most appreciated:confused:

williamrandel

in your setup how many gph are you trying to get to your tank and refugium. i shooting for 800-900 in the tank but am uncertain what i will need in the refuge

cboyfan2020

I am going real low for the fuge maybe like 200-400gph max. I will make up difference in tank with powerheads. I mainly set this up for skimmer and fuge but I will have 5' of head so I decided to go with the mag 7.

williamrandel

here is a corrected drawing for the setup. if anyone sees a problem please let me know. i am planning on cutting the acryllic tuesday on a cnc router. and i only have enough plex to do it once thanks for the input

broomer5

I like it.
I see no problems.
I am curious why you drew the line coming off tee on the drainline .. at an angle ?
I realize you want the water to drain from drainline over to fefugium - but I've never seen a tee that has an angled branch.
Was this just for illustration ? Or are you running that line horizontal ? Or using flex ?
Nice design

williamrandel

i have a 10 deg drop fitting made form a reducer bushing. it is a custom piece that i made in the machine shop form schedule 80 pvc . i may not use it . instead i may just put a ball valve below the Tee it force the flow to divert to the refuge . thanks for the input:)