Refugium???

J

jdragunas

Ok, this is the first time i've heard of a refugium. I did a little research, but i still don't quite understand how it works. Can someone help me out with this?

maurice

A refugium has many purposes,one is to grow macro algaes to help clean and purify your tank waters.They also make great areas for pods to live and breed where the fish do not clean them out.And of coarse they act as a natural filter system also.That is just some of the things they are good for.I am sure there will be more comments too.All in all they are great to have.IMO

fishieness

a refugium does a number of things... first of all, it acts as a place to store more live rock and macro algae. Macro algae feed on nitrates, bringing those down, and the live rock and live sand is a holding place for bacteria to help break down waste. It also provides more water volume. This once again, lets there be more bacteria in your system because of the added water. It will also dillute more waste because of the more water. And finaly it acts as a safe place for animals. If you have a coral that is being picked at, or a fish that is picking at your corals, you can add them to the refugium as a holding place until you figure out what the heck to do with it! It something is being nipped at or is sick and you dont have a hospital tank, you can put it in there so it does not become an easy target for a clean up crew. it is also a safe breeding place for pods and other creatures that are benificial scavengers and a great natral food for fish.
hope this helps

tombonius

the above comments are great. It also provides a hidden place to put heaters, skimmers, water monitors, top-offs etc, without having to hang them in your display tank.

J

jdragunas

From what i've read, it sounds like a good thing to have. Would i replace my wet/dry with it, or would it be in addittion to my wet/dry?

maurice

Originally Posted by jdragunas
From what i've read, it sounds like a good thing to have. Would i replace my wet/dry with it, or would it be in addittion to my wet/dry?
That is a very heated question in this hobby! lol I took mine off when i added my fuge,but i also had plenty of LR and added more to the fuge with some LR rubble.

J

jdragunas

Well i have 90lbs of live rock, and 25lbs of sand, 5 of which is live (just added that yesterday). I really don't have a problem with nitrates/trites, or ammonia. I definately can wait on it, but i wanted to get some corals and inverts. I'll probably want to have one when i do that, right?

fishieness

it is not necessary for corals and inverts, but a realy good thing to have. A protein skimmer will also be a great thing when the time comes.
how old is your tank? It sounds like you just set it up if you jsut added live sand?
i would wait a few months before corals come into play

fishieness

some people turn their wet-dry into a sump/fuge. (a sump is just a place with more water volume to put equipment like heats and filters). Take out the bio-balls, add live sand, live rock, and macroalgae if you decide to go that route.

J

jdragunas

I've had the tank setup for about 7 months. I changed my substrate from crushed coral to sand, so i added a little bit of LS so as not to shock the tank. I love the look of the sand sooo much better. I also changed the way i had my LR setup. I'll tell you what, tho, that was a pain in my rear-end, changing the substrate!!!
I don't plan on adding any corals or inverts until i have the proper lighting - at least 6 months!

maurice

Sounds like a very smart move on the substrate change,and if your going to wait 6 months to start stocking the tank,this would be the time to start your fuge so it can establish itself.Good luck either way you go though!

nm reef

The benefits of a refugium have been mentioned...I'd add that a well set up and established refugium can be a very positive addition to any marine system. Mine is a 55 gal with maybe 70-80 lbs of LR...assorted macro algaes....I prefer to call mine a "supplimental filtration system".....

hot883

Originally Posted by NM reef
The benefits of a refugium have been mentioned...I'd add that a well set up and established refugium can be a very positive addition to any marine system. Mine is a 55 gal with maybe 70-80 lbs of LR...assorted macro algaes....I prefer to call mine a "supplimental filtration system".....
NM, question on a CPR hang on refugium with skimmer, any good IYO?

J

jdragunas

"supplimental filtration system".....
I like that terminology.
Does anyone know how i could possibly build my own? i looked in the DIY forum, but i didn't find anything. Any input at all would be great!
Should i turn my wet/dry into one? That might be a good idea, as it's all just algae anyway, and it sounds like i might get more with a refugium. How would i do that though? I don't want to buy LR and just put it in there, as this may cause the tank to cycle again, and i don't want all of my fish to die. Can i cycle LR in just buckets under lighting? Would i take all of my bio-balls out, and the filter media that's in there out as well and replace it all? I would definately do that little by little, right? Should i buy rock and put it in with half of my bio balls and let that become LR?
I have a pro-clear 75 wet/dry. Is this too deep for a refugium (will lighting still be able to assist in the growth of the algae)? How do i get the different types of algae to grow, or do i buy it? Should i buy LS from my LFS, or should i just get sand and let it cure on it's own? SOOO MANY QUESTIONS!!! What all should i put in the refugium? Do i need to have a clean-up crew, or will they defeat the purpose? How much lighting do i need to have? What if the algae spreads to my tank and over-takes it?
Ok i'll stop now, but i'll probably have more questions later.

J

jdragunas

Originally Posted by fishieness
A protein skimmer will also be a great thing when the time comes.
how old is your tank?
I have a protein skimmer in my wet/dry filter. Came with it!

nm reef

Originally Posted by hot883
NM, question on a CPR hang on refugium with skimmer, any good IYO?
Very small and very limited...so the positive benefits would likely be very limited...but possibly better than no refugium at all...maybe. :notsure:
:notsure:

hot883

Very small and very limited...so the positive benefits would likely be very limited...but possibly better than no refugium at all...maybe. :notsure:
:notsure:
Thats what I was thinking, just wanted to be sure though. Thanks NM

wax32

I actually had pods breeding in a little HoB aquaclear 50 filter... I just took the various media out and left in one small bag of carbon.

Skimmer and "REFUGIUM"
This was on my 29 gallon.

maurice

To try and help on the fuge questions some,on my 55g i have a 30g fuge under it i bought the tank and some acrylic and made it myself,i took the skimmer out of my wet/dry and used it in my fuge as well.As far as using your wet/dry i think it is a little small still,i have the aqua clear 150 pro and i didn't use it either,i wanted as much water volume as i could get away with.The macro algaes you buy and add to the fuge once you have it up and running,i used marine sand in mine and made a 6" DSB then seeded it with 10lbs of live sand.I hope this helps a little,i also run a 40w light 24/7 on my fuge!If i missed some questions let me know and i will try to help further!