refugium

gatorcsm

Some have mentioned their HD/Lowes having the material to make it, but mine never has, and I just looked around in the phone book under plastics and found someone who would cut me the appropriate pieces per my instructions for my needs.

brucewrs

Originally Posted by cwgibson
after you get the pieces and seal them with epoxy and silicone.
DO NOT USE SILICONE ON PLEXI GLASS.It does not stick well to it.Also router the edges of the plexi glass so when you add the Weld#3 it goes right in with no air bubbles. All you need is the chemical to adhear the glass together no silicone.

sign guy

Originally Posted by cwgibson
how about jb weld i have some of that. also how do i find out the volume of my fuge.
no jb weld it will not work

cgrant

I just put my fuge together and used aga aquarium silicon.
Its a 40 long aga glass talk w/acrylic baffles from lowes but again i got the acrylic not the plexi-glass, i guess its different but not sure how?
I let it dry for a week while i was on vacation and they are in good, i even tried wiggling one around and it didnt move.
This is my 1st time working w/acrylic and am by far no expert on it but its working fine so far.

brucewrs

acrylic not the plexi-glass=same thing
I was stating do not put together a acrylic tank using silicone.It only works for glass. You can use silicone for the acrylic baffles in a glass tank.

T

thomas712

True acrylic cement is methylene chloride and is a carcinogen. It is best applied by syringe with a long needle to facilitate corner adhering, etc. No tape, clamps or other "hold-together" supports are needed. Only an architect's triangle and "T" sqaure are reqired to align the sides to the bottom and/or any inserts you plan on including.
By wicking the cement, capilliary action allows it to travel the length of the joint insuring a water-tight seal.
Acrylic:
The one big area ofter overlooked is the cut edge preparation before bonding. The saw action leaves a surface pitted and uneven. Due to the viscosity of the cement, (thin), these rough edges need attention before actual assembly. Then a propane blow torch set way, way low to sort-of flame polish the final mating surfaces.
There is a thicker viscosity cement out there that fills some imperfections when cementing, but not nessessary for this application, only on high pressure sensitive work.
Thomas

brucewrs

Originally Posted by Thomas712
True acrylic cement is methylene chloride and is a carcinogen. It is best applied by syringe with a long needle to facilitate corner adhering, etc. No tape, clamps or other "hold-together" supports are needed. Only an architect's triangle and "T" sqaure are reqired to align the sides to the bottom and/or any inserts you plan on including.
By wicking the cement, capilliary action allows it to travel the length of the joint insuring a water-tight seal.
Acrylic:
The one big area ofter overlooked is the cut edge preparation before bonding. The saw action leaves a surface pitted and uneven. Due to the viscosity of the cement, (thin), these rough edges need attention before actual assembly. Then a propane blow torch set way, way low to sort-of flame polish the final mating surfaces.
There is a thicker viscosity cement out there that fills some imperfections when cementing, but not nessessary for this application, only on high pressure sensitive work.
Thomas

Wow,You know your stuff Thomas..Very well stated...