Refugium

nm reef

A seperate containor to hold the water volume you plan to use...a means of getting water out of your aquarium in the refugium...means of returning water from your refugium to your display...
I have LS and some rubble in mine along with assorted caulperas. Mine is 2 sections ...one is approximately 20 gals the second is approximately 35 gal.....water is pumped in via 2 Hagen 802 power heads into the 20 gal section that has about 30-40 lbs of ls....this gravity flows into the 35 gal refugium(Filtered thru 2 small micron filters) that has 60-70 lbs ls and 20-30 lbs of rubble...with very litte caulperas. I do run 3 mechanical filters on this section they are for phosphate sponge or carbon when I use it(circulation the rest of the time)....plus they are kind of like little algae scrubbers(I remove sheets of algae every couple of weeks off the overflows)...the 35 gal section gravity returns back to the display, I have all of mine sitting in a room behind my display. But you can have one under in your cabinet...but the plumbing is much different than mine. There are countless ways to design one that works....I just put mine together to fit my system. :cool:

cmpowell

I would like to put a 20 gal under the cabinet.What type of plumbing is recommended and how do you get the gravity feed to start to get it up to the display tank.I apologize for my ignorance.Kinda like teaching a baby to walk. :D

stanford

I just use an overflow and let gravity do the rest. I then have a powerhead that pumps the water back up, real easy

nm reef

For a under the display refugium you'll nee to use a pump to return your water...........here is a link that details the process you'll need to use.......its actually for a sump but will work for a refugium also.
<a href="http://www.cyberreefguru.com/general/overflow/overflow.html" target="_blank">why over flows work</a>

pb here

Here's a link to the diagram I used in building mine. It has three sections... one for the skimmer, one for the return pump, and one for the refugium.
<a href="http://johnandtori.homestead.com/files/my_sump_diagram.jpg" target="_blank">Sump with refugium diagram</a>