Refugium???

aftrhrs

I seen in another post a schematic on how to put one in-line with a sump, but my question is, what exactly do you put in a refugium. I am fairly new to the world of saltwater and I have not run across one of these before.
thanks,

logan15

deep sand bed to complete the nitrogen cycle and the macro algae or xenia takes the phosphates out and nitrates out
Logan

E

elan

there are alot of posts on refugiums. but i have seen mostly a DSB and calurpa and other algae type plants. I also seen some live rock in some too.
I dont have one yet, but am planning in making one. And i have seen some really nice looking ones. I plan on actually keeping mine out in the open (if i can get it to look as good as some that i have seen)
I think it would look great. Tank on top, refugium on the bottom.
We will see if it will work out.

broomer5

My refugium is just a cheapo Rubbermaid 18 gallon plastic container.
Ugly as can be - works pretty good though.

aftrhrs

Wow, nice website. Where can I find the plants that you put in your sump? I didn't see them on SWF.com

logan15

LFS usually have them ours sells it for 5.00 a big bag of it.I have a pic of mine in the setting up stage its finally ready for caulerpa

aftrhrs

Thanks for the information. I am going to start designing a refugium now and hopefully it doesn't get too expensive :D