refugium

lfd-143

Can you run a refugium straight for the overflow box or do you have to through a sump? I have a premade refugium with two small baffles in front of it to stop bubbles from the overflow I think. But it doesn't have enough room for a skimmer or to act as a sump.
The problem I have is: a 55G tank with not enough room under it.
11x48x20h the refugium is 10x20x10 and I am not having any luck finding a container to fit for a sump.
Any help would be great.

logan15

ok from what i have heard correct me if im wrong but hob fuges are better for growing pods even the biggest one is just simple not big enough to help remove anything they may be good for a 10 or 20 gallon but no tanks size over 30 gallon or more i think theyre a waste of money you could do a next to tank fuge make a nice stand and canopy and it blends in.you dont have to have a sump to run a fuge i have a fuge that is a 29 gallon tank i would shoot for a tank half the size of the tank or so.Like a 29 or 30 gallon here.mine is feed water by a 300gph cpr-s50 overflow box"I Bought from reef fool very nice by the way"
Hope this helps some.
-Logan-

lfd-143

Logan,
If HOB means hang on back then that is not the fuge I have. I think my post must have been confusing sorry. The fuge I have is like a ten gallon tank. The water enters from the overflow box into the first section(via bulk head on top) which is 4 inches wide then over a wall to a chamber that is 10inches wide then over another wall 3inches wide. Then under a wall to another 3 inch wide chamber and out to the return pump.
My question is: Do I need a sump before this or can I just run the overflow box straight to this? I ordered a prefilter (up to700GPH)from Lifereef, It should be here in a week.
Thanks
Frank

cboyfan2020

you dont need a sump before it. A sump is just a container of water that increases your overall water volume which makes your tank more stable. If you just run the overflow to the fuge then back up to the tank that is fine.

cboyfan2020

My pleasure, I took some Loritabs for my tooth and I think it made me a little loopy so the confusion was on my part. Good luck.