Refugiums size

khoi29

I am going to make a Refugiums for my 72gal semi reef tank. I was wondering what size tank should i used for the Refugiums . Also after I build it and get it going should I stop using my canister filter . In DIY Refugiums I will have live sand and live rocks also chaeto , protien skimmer

scsinet

I've always gone with about 10-20% of the water volume, so in your case, about 7-15 gallons. You can always go bigger... I've seen fuges the same size as the display tank.

joncat24

I would go as big as you can fit in the stand. Which if you are buying a tank is probably a 15 gallon because of the way the stand is shaped.
Anything bigger, you would have to remove the front brace to get it in.

frankthetank

I'm assuming your 72 is a bow? I have a 46 bow which I just completed my sump/fuge. I bought a 18g tank because it was a perfect fit in the stand. Joncat and earlybird helped me greatly with words of wisdom!
I'm not sure what the 72 bow stand will accommodate? But go as big as you can is my advice. Maybe you can get a 20 L in there?

khoi29

Thanks for the reply . I will go with bight tank. When I get it going should I stop using my canister filter .

frankthetank

I will use both the canister and the sump/fuge. The canister filter is great for adding flow to a certain area of the tank plus allowing you to run some carbon or phoshate remover in. I even buy those water polishing pads and run them for a few days per month to remove any floating stuff.