Refugiun And Sump

casper1875

Yes, it's only about 4 inches. I could put some glass baffles in before the plastic one. I was thinking about doing that anyway so there would be no bubbles.

posiden

Well, I know those Oceanic sumps aren't cheap. What I am wondering is, why not take it back and geat a simple tank that you can build everything inside of. You will be eliminating a lot of headach and not having to purchase another pump.
I say this cause you bought a sump that came with a media chamber that you don't want to use, baffles that aren't high enough for your needs. I know if I bought a reef ready sump, I would not want to have to mod it or take half of it out.

casper1875

I bought it last year on sale. I've been working on this since april of 2008. I went to the lfs and told them the type of tank I had and they sold me the Model 3 sump.

posiden

Well, without adding another pump in the mix, I would put both of them under the stand. I would put them in there the way you posted them. I would raise up the tide pool a bit so you can plumb it into the sump. Using the holes that are already there. You can plumb the tide pool directly into the return section. Play around with some blocking to get the height right and make sure the 8" of water in the sump will be cool in the tide pool. Leaving head room for any back siphoning that may take place when the power goes out. Esentually you will have a setup like this.
Sump(skimmer)>return pump<tide pool.
Plumb a drain into the sump and the other drain into the tide pool. The two will come together in the middle.

casper1875

Well as usual this is a mess. The tank is on the stand and I can't get the sump under the stand. It defies the laws of physics. My husband and our two sons want nothing to do with it. I'm on my own here. There is no way they will move the aquarium off the stand so I can get it back in there.
I'm going to do the process you listed Posiden, but behind the stand instead. After I have it set up, I'll fill the system with tap water and see what happens. I'll start a new thread when I see what my issues are.
My husband is right (yes I put it in writing)
, I never do things the easy way.

posiden

Well, that could be a good thing I guess. You will have lots of room to do anything you need to do in the sump or in the refug.

calbert0

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3139992
Well, that could be a good thing I guess. You will have lots of room to do anything you need to do in the sump or in the refug.
like add a GFIC if you havent done that already... I had everything in place and filled with water when i realized that i didnt have a GFCI....
thank God for the clip on ones you can pick up from home depot... because there was no way i had enough room to work behind my tank to install a whole new outlet

casper1875

I had them installed a few months ago. I wanted the system to have two circuit breakers so I had new wiring run and mounted on the the wall about 4 of 5 feet from the floor. Each set of wiring has GFCI outlets. I want to make a box with air slots on the side and bottom so that no water can splash up on them.
Thanks for the heads up.