Regal Angel

bigal0221

Anyone have any experience? I would love to add one to my 125 but have received conflicting reports on how well they do. Just thought I would se if anyone has any personal experience. Thanks!

crypt keeper

50/50 shot. I waa going to try one. Most people cant get tnem to eat. They are shy fish and any aggressive fast moving fish may make it harder to acclimate. They do better as the biggest fish

daj0424

Tried two of them in my days. One I did not get to eat and it died within a week. Second I did get to eat and it died in a week.
I only recomend them in very large estabished systems, and loets of experience.
I love the look of the fish too but for the price you may want consider a harliquin wrasse. Same colors and another beautiful fish that should be easier to keep. Good luck.

aquaknight

I have had two, and will have another shortly. As noted above, the problem is getting them to eat. Mine lived on solely enriched live brine for over 2 month till I was able to wean him onto mysis and NLS pellets.
One tip is to get a smaller Regal, even a juvi. They adapt much better. About tank size, I don't think very large are required at all. For a smaller Regal a 90gal would be very good. Established tanks are important, but I would keep the Regal in a QT, and teach them how to eat.

cveverly

I have a Regal and it is doing well, maybe luck of the draw.
It started out really shy and skittish for about a week. I have a 160 gallon established tank so I assume it was snacking on the live rock. Starting eating a mix of frozen food including mysis, brine, angel formula and emerald green. Now it about rips the eye dropper out of my hand when feeding.

It also like nori and the new treat is New Life Spectrum pellets. It really goes nuts for them.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by cveverly
http:///forum/post/3234346
I have a Regal and it is doing well, maybe luck of the draw.
It started out really shy and skittish for about a week. I have a 160 gallon established tank so I assume it was snacking on the live rock. Starting eating a mix of frozen food including mysis, brine, angel formula and emerald green. Now it about rips the eye dropper out of my hand when feeding.

It also like nori and the new treat is New Life Spectrum pellets. It really goes nuts for them.
Do you happen to know where it's from? Indian Ocean? Vanatau? Indo-Pacific?
What's the size and it is a "yellow-belly" or blue/grey belly?

bigal0221

The fish I was looking at says its origin is Solomon. It is 3-4" in size and I am not sure about the belly.

bigal0221

AquaKnight,
I see that you posted on my other post as well, I have a 125g 6' long DT and want to add an angel as my next fish. I currently have 4-1/2" Sargassum Trigger, 6" Magnificent Foxface and 3" Golden Butterfly. I have my eyes on the Regal Tang I listed above or the 5" Annularis that I was asking about in my other post. Any thoughts on which may do better? All of the current fish are soing great and have absolutely no squabbles. The tank has been up and running for 1 year and the butterfly was the last addition about 4 months ago. Thanks!

aquaknight

The Annularis is by far the more durable fish. They adapt well, especially in the 4"-5" range. A Regal from Solomon would probably be classified as a general Indo-Pacific, which are the ones with the high mortality rate (not that Indian Ocean, more western Regals are that much better). They aren't impossible to keep, but it's far from a guarantee.
The only hitch to the Annularis is that a 125gal isn't a "forever" home. They are one of the larger angels and in a couple years, probably could use a larger home.

bigal0221

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of on the Annularis. All of the info on the net says 70-100g tank requirements but I have noticed that they get upwards of 12". I am in the plans of a large system later this year or first of next year, approx. 400g range but I know that things can change and the amount of $$$ that I will have to shell out for that system may make things progress slowly. I guess I will hold off for now and look into an angel that can stay in the 125g permanently in case my next project does not happen.
Thanks for the advice!

aquaknight

Yea, the problem with the info from the net, is most of it is from retailers. Lot more people have tanks in the 75-100gal range, then over 200 gallons, so that's what the retailer is going to post. A smaller home isn't going to outright kill a fish, but obviously isn't suitable.
I would say a 5" Annularis probably has at least 2 years of growth, before he outsizes a 6' 125gal, especially with only 3 other tankmates. So you wouldn't have to upgrade right away.
Some angels that would permanently fit into a 125gal, Flagfin, Singapore, any angels of a Genicanthus genus (probably could even do a pair of those), Majestic, Cream, Poma, Blue Spotted, and not sure of your budget, but Goldflake, Bandit, Blue Line.

bigal0221

Thanks for the info, yeah I love the Blueline and purchased one a while back. He was in the QT and eating like a pig but got some type of sore on his side, then he gets ich which i did hypo and got rid of the ich but the sore got worse and worse. I posted on disease treatment and it was suggested to treat with maracyn-2 which i did. he fought for many weeks but did not make it. I would love to try another one but they are really hard to come by. I will keep looking and again, thanks for all of the helpful info.