Regal Tang died

pattycake

I lost my Regal Tang this weekend. I have a 55gal reef with skimmer, filter, and 2 power heads. For the last 4 weeks I was finding him sucked up to the filters. It didnt matter which one. I would get him off and he seemed fine. But I kept wondering if he was stuck for a long period of time if he would survive. Well, this time I guess he was on there overnight. He was about 1 inch long. My question is do you think he was sick or do you think he was to small? All the Regals at my LFS are about that size. I also have 2 clowns and they seem to be smart enough to stay away from the filters. Any ideas?

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by lionfish12

55 gallon?

:nope: Don't go there lionfish.

ophiura

Thanks Beth. I am tired of the "no way no how in any case" tank size thing for a tang, and I am not a fan of them in small tanks either! But those tiny tangs? Personally, I would rather keep them in a nice mature 30 long reef...get them eating, established and growing and strong, before putting them in a 55g. Flow can certainly cause problems for these little and weaker guys...much like it does with things like horseshoe crabs.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by lionfish12
Im not going to.. He small anyways to it would work.

Can anyone find me a smily that has its mouth taped? :rolleyes:
Hey, Susan, what you doing now? Do you have another exciting job or are you taking a break still from the last one?

ophiura

:D can't come up with the smiley though...maybe back when I didn't work. LOL. But no, I do have a new position, not in any way aquarium related! Data management. LOL!

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by ophiura
: Data management. LOL!

That is definately a switch. From wet suits to pc potato, right? :D
Glad to see you have time for us again!

ophiura

I sneak it in, but sometimes I'm not fast enough with the ol' window switch and lay low for awhile. ;) But its nice to be back, even on a limited basis.

ophiura

Yup, but it is neglected. :( Getting better though, with more income and less aquarium stuff at work. :)