Regular Rock

newbieabc

Hello everyone,
Does anyone appose putting regular rock that has been taken out of the ground and cleaned into my aquarium?
Pictures inclosed:

Thank You!

spanko

Dangerous risk at best. You don't know the composition of the rock. Could contain metals detrimental to your tank.
If it were me I would not do it. JMO

newbieabc

Well, I plan on bleaching the rock and presure washing it. Don't you think then it will be ok to add. I can see that the rock was once in the water, but made its way on to land, where it sat for sometime.
Theres not much that can come from dirt huh?

blue44magnum

That's not a wise decision if you plan on using that rock.No telling what that rock is composed of.If you just want some then go to your lfs and buy some dry rock / lace rock , it's very cheap because it contains no life. or check out craigslist.org in your area and find some cheap live rock in your area.
just my two cents.....

kurtymac

bad, it has no life to it, and if any bleach is left after further washing that could appose a problem as well. , if it was freshwater fish then hey who cares ahhaha they would be fine, but saltwater your talking big bucks for fish, not worth risking them dieing.
+2 for dont use it

lion_crazz

Yep, I would vote againt using it as well. There are a lot of ways to save money in SW fish keeping, but that is not one of them.

veni vidi vici

If your looking to save a $ try finding some tufa or lace rock.I just picked up 100lbs of tufa for $100.I mixed it with about 150lbs of LR i already had and you soon wont be able to tell the difference.

aquaknight

If that rock was collected south of Orlando, its known as 'Miami Oolitic.' The same rock that is found in Florida's reef, save for a couple thousand years of have sand smashed in, which has caused some of the various pores and such to fill in. There are some rocks that are better then others in regards of porosity, look for those. Some which mirror traditional aquarium rock. Pressure washing is what I did as well, wear your swim trunks.

I have a quite a bit of these rocks in my 125. There is really no difference from this rock then dried base rock in terms of 'life.' Everything in dead in both. I would never recommend completely filling a tank with this stuff. My personal guideline is to stay under 40% (either for collected rock, dry base rock, or both) of total pounds of rock in the tank and have at least the other 60% live rock.
There are real risks, as mentioned, that they have absorded chemicals and/other nastys that could wipe out a tank. If you found this rock along side the road, dump it. The rock I have collected was from freshly cleared construction sites out west in Broward (Parkland specifically). Areas where it's unlikely any human set foot before.
The pH on those rocks is also initially a little low. If you decide to use that one or some others, after you power clean, you'll need to soak the rocks in a hyper-pH tub (rubbermaid, with a fair bit of pH+ buffer dumped in) for about month before adding to your tank. All you need is saltwater, a rubbermiad or bin large enough to fill with water to completely cover the rock, and a powerhead.
Forgot to add, since these rocks are dead, just like base rock, you will cycle them as well. Add in another month for thes guys in the rubbermaid to cycle if you adding them to an established tank. If you're setting up a tank you can skip this step (as the tank's cycle will cured these rocks).
Also, don't bleach, bleach won't really do any sorts of 'cleaning' but it is very hard to get out of the rock.

payton 350

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2681706
Forgot to add, since these rocks are dead, just like base rock, you will cycle them as well. Add in another month for thes guys in the rubbermaid to cycle if you adding them to an established tank. If you're setting up a tank you can skip this step (as the tank's cycle will cured these rocks).
You don't need to cycle base rocks

aquaknight

By that, I mean you must make them 'live' if you want them to be part of the nitrification process. I wouldn't recommend adding lots dried base rock to an established tank, as whatever dried on the rocks, will cause the nutrients to spike. Bascially the same thing as 'uncured live rock' without any hitchhikers on there. However a piece or two probably will go unnoticed.
I forgot to add that because the collected rock is clean, their is nothing to get the 'cycle' of establishing bacteria in the rocks going. Add a piece of table shrimp for a week (or till it starts to stuink), then let the bacteria build for the other 3 weeks abd monitor ammonia. When it reaches 0ppm, you're ready.

payton 350

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2681866
By that, I mean you must make them 'live' if you want them to be part of the nitrification process. I wouldn't recommend adding lots dried base rock to an established tank, as whatever dried on the rocks, will cause the nutrients to spike. Bascially the same thing as 'uncured live rock' without any hitchhikers on there. However a piece or two probably will go unnoticed.
I forgot to add that because the collected rock is clean, their is nothing to get the 'cycle' of establishing bacteria in the rocks going. Add a piece of table shrimp for a week (or till it starts to stuink), then let the bacteria build for the other 3 weeks abd monitor ammonia. When it reaches 0ppm, you're ready.
I disagree.......if added to the dt , over time it will become live. i've added 50 pounds of dried base rock to an established 75 with no ill effects or nutrient spikes. But if that works for you and wanna be on the safe side and take the extra steps , that 's your choice.

aquaknight

That is very true, it is just a bit of extra steps (the pH is a bit more serious, pH test the collected rock at a very minimum). I just don't want someone to dump 100lbs of base rock/collected rock in their tank, and think it perform like regualr live rock.
Most likely has to do with how clean your rock is to start with. I've seen from liquid-paper white base rock, to rock with hermit and urchin corspes still in there.

newbieabc

Sorry for bringing this thread back up, but I have one more question.
My canal has a salt level of 1.008, there is clean looking rock right there within my grasp, anyone appose?
(I'm have no money, thus my desperation :/ )
Thanks,
Austin

alix2.0

yeah, its a bad idea. think pollution and other crap.
honestly if youre that tight for money, you may want to rethink this hobby. its pretty expensive.