Regular Rock

florida joe

I have used and use nothing but rock I have found along the gulf coast shore and have never had a problem. I bleach power wash and drill holes with a Hilti roto hammer put it in a bucket with some fresh waster and product to neutralize any chlorine just to be sure and put it in my tank and let nature take its course

V

vince-1961

How long does it take for stuff to grow on rock? I know that theoretically, it's immediate, but how long before I start to see cool stuff? Tank is plenty "seeded" - - - see pic below. To the left of the conch shell, I got some purple starting to show, but most of them are just plain rock. Have absolutely no clue what kind of rock it is. It came with the tank, which I've had for about 6 weeks now.
My tank needs more rock and I want to make my own from portland cement mixed with both aragonite sand and the crushed shell used as poultry feed. Make it, soak it with freshwater changes for a month or more to leach out whatever may be in it, buffer pH, etc. and I'm good to go, right?
Attachment 207861
Attachment 207862

V

vinnyraptor

it could take awhile. depends on light mostly. i got about 60 lbs of formerly alive rock lol, from a buddy of mine. he lost everything in a power outage and left his lights off for about 6 months. the rock was completely white. its been about 2 1/2 months and im just starting to see pinks, neon greens, and purple on it.
dont do the portland cement thing unless you plan on covering it in silicone. Im one a beer budget in this hobby too and ive tried it. killed everything! there is an alternative. most good stores sell rock dry by the lb. in bins. most are unsafe for marine tanks but atleast two i know of are safe. you will see an initial spike in ph if you add too much so i dont recommend adding it to an established tank. but if seeded it will grow and i know because i have some. i dont know the name of these types of rock but can tell you one is dark grey, pock marked, and typically flat. the other is white with brown or amber mottling and resembles pieces of live rock. it has crevasses, caves ,etc.
i would only recommend using this in a new tank and seeding it with a few pieces of LR. and monitor ph during and after cycle before adding any livestock. ph can be brought down over time with buffers and water changes. these types of rock have no metals whatsoever and if your patient you can save hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
Originally Posted by vince-1961
http:///forum/post/2750668
How long does it take for stuff to grow on rock? I know that theoretically, it's immediate, but how long before I start to see cool stuff? Tank is plenty "seeded" - - - see pic below. To the left of the conch shell, I got some purple starting to show, but most of them are just plain rock. Have absolutely no clue what kind of rock it is. It came with the tank, which I've had for about 6 weeks now.
My tank needs more rock and I want to make my own from portland cement mixed with both aragonite sand and the crushed shell used as poultry feed. Make it, soak it with freshwater changes for a month or more to leach out whatever may be in it, buffer pH, etc. and I'm good to go, right?
Attachment 207861
Attachment 207862

V

vince-1961

Hi Vinny ("Don't touch the hair!" - - - John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever)
I've read an awaful lot on this site, and others, about making your own LR. You are one of very few people who discourage it. Those who do discourage all had bad experiences, which I have observed, tend to be pH spikes. It seems that pH spikes are a known process and just require lots and lots of time in freshwater "curing" - - - at least 6 weeks. I made some rock last weeknd. It's still in the sand molds hardening. I intend to "cure" them in freshwater for two months to avoid the problem you mention.
As for light, I give my tank lots of good strong light. Minimum is 12 hours/day actinic, 8 hours a day with 10K mixed with a few more actinics. The entire fixture contains twelve, 39 watt T-5's. The rock in the photos has been underwater in my possession for about 6 or 7 weeks now. When I got the tank, it was already set up and running. Seller said he'd had it for 6 months with the rock in it that long.

michaeltx

keep changing the water in the water curing vat until the PH stabilizes and stays that way. recomended to change the water every 2-3 days till it stops spiking. depending on what materials you used and what the make up of them was it could take 6 weeks or even a few moths before the PH stabilizes though.
HTH
Mike

kazara

Check out www.********. It tells you how to make live rock and bunch of other stuff to. really good site.
***that link has sales within it and can not be posted***
I have never seen anything for sale on their. Sorry...thought it was just an information site.

kimbo

Have A Question On The Live Rock I Had My Tank Set Up With Live
Rock But I Took The Tank Down And The Rock Is Now Dead And Dryed Out Can I Use The Rock Again In New Tank Set Up Or Its No Good Any More Can It Be Used Or Not

michaeltx

Originally Posted by kimbo
http:///forum/post/2773367
Have A Question On The Live Rock I Had My Tank Set Up With Live
Rock But I Took The Tank Down And The Rock Is Now Dead And Dryed Out Can I Use The Rock Again In New Tank Set Up Or Its No Good Any More Can It Be Used Or Not
yes you can it wont have any bacteria or life in it now so you would have to reseed it with LR and over time it wil become just the regualr LR.
Just be sure to wash it real good to get any dirt and debris that may have collected on or in it so that it doesnt go into the tank.
Mike

masterid

Don't use this rock. It is harmful for fish. Always use live rocks in your Fish Tank. When talking about live rock (LR), it is a misconception that the rock itself is alive. What makes it live are the many forms of micro and macroscopic marine life that live on and inside of it. The rock itself is only made up of the calcium carbonate skeletons of long dead corals, or other calcareous organisms.Live rock becomes the main biological nitrification base or biological filter of a saltwater aquarium, while at the same time enhances the look of the aquarium and provides shelter for the inhabitants.

fats71

Originally Posted by newbieABC
http:///forum/post/2693286
Sorry for bringing this thread back up, but I have one more question.
My canal has a salt level of 1.008, there is clean looking rock right there within my grasp, anyone appose?
(I'm have no money, thus my desperation :/ )
Thanks,
Austin
If you like jail or fines its a great idea.

srgvigil

I'm making a decree :-D
No further post after this following line

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(The Srg has spoken