Releasing fish to the wild?

lukeb321

Since most fish are caught in the wild, has anybody ever re-released fish back into the wild? If so, where, I just talked to some guy at the lfs who uses ocean water from south florida (where he lives) and said it great. Was wondering if you released fish at the ocean/beach, would they last?

fishieness

IMO it is an incredibly irresponsible thing to do. You dont know what parasites you may be releasing into the while or any pathogens. Even if you always used florida water, and you still dotn know about your live rock or where your fish was caught, or any other inverts or fish. It is asking for possible disaster.

1journeyman

Probably not.. unless it is a fish suited for the particular environment is was released into.
Also, I'd guess this is illegal.

soexcited

even though im new to the saltwater hobby i can add my 0.2...we currently have a problem here off the coast of the nc beaches with lionfish..the consenus is that they came here from saltwater hobbyist releasin them when they got too big or didnt know how to take care of them in the first place..now they are killin off native fish...there was a big article in our paper a while back..so i would have to say definately dont do it..no matter what kinda fish it is

mikeyjer

IT is illegal to release freshwater fish into lakes and streams. Most of them are NOT native here, same with saltwater fish. Just a while back, there was a fish farm rasing a type of flying carp, then flood came along and it released it into streams and lakes. Now they're wayyyyyyy populated and taking over the new lakes that they now live in. So NO it is NOT advisible to release a NON-native specie into our streams, lakes or ocean. :happyfish

scotts

That would be a big fat NO! Here in CA they have had to kill off part of a river and drain a lake because someone released some fish from their tank into the lake. Sure you can say that the ocean is a different thing, but still you should learn from others mistakes.

pontius

if you release an aquarium fish into the ocean, you are basically sentencing it to death, so you may as well flush it down the toilet.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Pontius
if you release an aquarium fish into the ocean, you are basically sentencing it to death, so you may as well flush it down the toilet.
...and possibly being responsible for releasing an invasive organism that could destroy the ecosystem of the area.
Don't do it!!

lepete

Just a little story:
Maryland ecosystem is being invaded by Snakeheads. These fish is indigenous to China. It was orginally found just in one freshwater lake in MD. Now, they are in VA, DC, and MD if not more...
It is believed that someone released them when they grow too large for their aquarium. I dont believe the story. Unless they release a bunch of Snakeheads, there are no way that the Snakeheads can sustain the population.

pontius

the snakeheads are able to go across land from one body of water to another, and they prey on the native species, so they could overtake these lakes and rivers if not controlled.
the same thing is happening in Florida where people are releasing pet boa constrictors into the swamps. they are not native to Florida and are making trouble with the alligators.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Pontius
the snakeheads are able to go across land from one body of water to another, and they prey on the native species, so they could overtake these lakes and rivers if not controlled.
the same thing is happening in Florida where people are releasing pet boa constrictors into the swamps. they are not native to Florida and are making trouble with the alligators.
Yea they're growing much bigger then they usually do because they have no natural predators there in FL. They're getting sooo big that they're feeding on the alligators now. :happyfish

scubadoo

Originally Posted by soexcited
even though im new to the saltwater hobby i can add my 0.2...we currently have a problem here off the coast of the nc beaches with lionfish..the consenus is that they came here from saltwater hobbyist releasin them when they got too big or didnt know how to take care of them in the first place..now they are killin off native fish...there was a big article in our paper a while back..so i would have to say definately dont do it..no matter what kinda fish it is

There are a couple addtional "theories" regarding the lionfish presence in the Atlantic. Other possibilites....they were released accidentally by the floods of Hurricane Andrew which hit FL...and possible bilge pumps on ships passing through the Panama Canal.
The one sited in your article is the common theory and the one viewed as most likely.

fishieness

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
Yea they're growing much bigger then they usually do because they have no natural predators there in FL. They're getting sooo big that they're feeding on the alligators now. :happyfish
im sorry..... but i dont think i believe that...... and do they have saltwater crocs in Fl?

tscuda

Originally Posted by fishieness
im sorry..... but i dont think i believe that...... and do they have saltwater crocs in Fl?
Boa's no. They get to be around 10 foot. 6 on the average Pythons yes. Burmese grow up to 22 foot and Retic's up to 32. Last year they found one in some small village (forgot what country) that was over 50 foot. The town folk was feeding it dogs.

unleashed

Originally Posted by tscuda
Boa's no. They get to be around 10 foot. 6 on the average Pythons yes. Burmese grow up to 22 foot and Retic's up to 32. Last year they found one in some small village (forgot what country) that was over 50 foot. The town folk was feeding it dogs.
anacona is the only kown species of snake to top out over 25 ft long.as of this date theer is a 50,000.00 reward for anyone finding a living anaconda over 30 long by the scientific society of national geographic .
Anaconda, «AN uh KON duh», is the name of two kinds of large snakes found in tropical South America. Anacondas are also called water boas. One kind may grow as long as 30 feet (9 meters) or more. But all adult anacondas are more than 15 feet (4.6 meters) long. No other South American snake approaches this length.aslo as far as lionfish go here is an article about lions found in areas just as far north as new york.
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jul2...4-07-20-02.asp
very interesting article indeed
yes i read way to much lol
also michigan lakes are now getting over populated with japanese gobies not just our great lakes but even the small lakes that connect to the huron river along with zebra muscles.these came from ships bows and releasing ocean water from holding tanks into our great lakes .introducing species that are not indigionous to an area can have a devistating effect on the ecosystem.such as eating the eggs and fry of our game fish and other species required to keep natural balance.dumping your pet fish endangering native species is not only irrisponsible its also illegal.

mikeyjer

I meant a Burmese Python, not a boa. It was on the news not that long ago. Do a search on it and you'll find it. It happened at the Florida Everglades National Park. It bursts after eating the gator. :happyfish

fishieness

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
I meant a Burmese Python, not a boa. It was on the news not that long ago. Do a search on it and you'll find it. It happened at the Florida Everglades National Park. It bursts after eating the gator. :happyfish
oh dear lord!! i thought you were talking about lionfish still!!!! i was like...ummmm....no.... i dont care how younge the aligator/croc is..... ok, yeah, i definatly believe that.

battosai

Well you better believe it!! of course they are not eating the large gators, but 5'and 6' Gators are fair game. There was a picture in the newspaper here recently tha showed a Python that had swallowed an Gator but had died because his stomach had busted.
I used to visit a friend that worked at one wholesale fish store and they would release all the sick fish back into the ocean. BTW most of the water used here is the water that is collected from the ocean during high tide.