Remora C Skimmer Warning

funkyman

OK people. Learn from my experience.
In case you didn't get the "NEW" instructions, you're supposed to tighten the hose clamps (you know, the plastic ones you press together with your fingers) with PLIERS.
My wife came home to a smokey house and fire alarms going off. It took me a half hour to get home, by which time the fire department had left. Due to the waterstain on the ceiling, it was fairly obvious where the problem was. I went upstairs to the salt tank, and saw about 20% of my water was missing. Too much water had dissappeared to fast for it to be a leak. Everything was fine when I left for work.
At first I thought something had gone wrong with the power filter or power heads. I started plugging in things one at at a time, until it came time to plug in the skimmer. As soon as I did, a geiser was shot out of the tank.
continued in next post.........

funkyman

The 2' hose was still connected to the pump, but the pump had come disconnected from the skimmer, shooting water out of the tank until the circuit breaker went off.
I called Aqua C, and explained what had happened. I told them any other filter I've ever had, once you shoved a plastic hose over plastic threading, you had to cut it to get it back off. This one just slides off no problem. There was nothing in the instructions about using pliers on the plastic hose clamps, nor would I have considered it since they're PLASTIC. I did however press them together until my fingers turned white.
Evidentally, new instructions were issued denoting the use of pliers, which of course I did not have. Just out of curiousity, does ANYONE have such instructions??
..............continued in next post.

funkyman

If you've got one of these skimmers get some pliers and crank on those hose clamps so the same thing doesn't happen to you.
I know there are many people who haven't had a problem, but I'm not one of them and I don't want anyone else to be either.

T

tony91lx

You know what's funny, I noticed the other day that the same clamp on my skimmer was loose.
I better go home and sung it down...

funkyman

The start of an electrical fire.
I talked to the owner of Aqua C, and other people have had the same problem but to a lesser degree (meaning end reslult).
The hose is too big, the clamps are too weak, and the pump's too heavy. Then pump and the filter box are suspended from the skimmer by the little 2" long hose with no other form of support.

cholland

So what happened after you told the owner about the accident?
I just recently purchased an Aqua C Remora....so I am paying attention.

scubadoo

Mine slipped off but I was lucky..It just caused a MAJOR sandstorm in the tank. I did use a pliers NOt mentioned on my installation instructions...I just decided to use a pair of pliers figuring I could tighten it stronger. I did call the place I purcahsed the skimmer and they told me no one had ever notified them of this problem. Yeah...right!

funkyman

He heard me out, and tried to explain that there were obvious risks envolved with water, electricity, and aquarium accessories. I told him I understood that, but random occurance was "NOT" what happend today, and went over all the things that were wrong with the design (already ranted about). This was also supported by other occurances he said other people had experienced.
The one issue I didn't mention yet (unrelated to what happened today) was the filter box. I don't know about all yours, but the pump "I" had (Mag 3? box is gone) wouldn't fit into the filter box without cramming it in at an angle. If you have an empty tank and have room to do this and / or have 4 hands, that's fine. If you put in this skimmer after the fact and the tank's set up....good luck.
He asked what he could do, for which I really didn't have a good answer. I told him I couldn't get the filter box back on, and that it was going back to the LFS.
.......continued in next post.

funkyman

He suggested a longer hose which would seat the pump on the bottom of the tank. That would solve the pump support problem, but then I wouldn't have a "skimmer" anymore.
Right now the pump is hanging off the skimmer without the filter box, and with the foam intake filter installed. Don't worry. I went and got my pal the pliers, and got every last click out of those stupid clamps. I still think the purpose of the "skimmer" is shot this way, as the pump intake is now 6" under the surface of the water. It's my understanding that the worst toxins were floating on the "surface"........hence "skimming". I may just take the whole thing back and look for another piece of equipment.
He was as nice as he could be all things considered, but if I was a sue happy individual he'd have a big problem on his hands. I think he knew that, and I also think this is happening more often than anyone's going to admit. He offered a deal on any other aquarium product they manufacture in the future.

pyro

I don't own a skimmer of any sort, but just an idea, have you considered a surface skimming box? I beleive they sell them for the Aqua C's, but not positive. That might give the pump something to rest on and solve your surface skimming problem. The thing is probably like 50$ though... maybe that guy could get you one.
My 2 cents, could be wrong though.
*edit*
haha, just looked it up. I gotta stop kidding myself and jokingly exageratting prices - it's like 45$ for a mag 3 pump according to a certain "salt water storage house".

scubadoo

Pyro...if you carefully read the post, you will see the pump was attached to the fliter/skimmer box. The skimmer box adds to the weight...does not help it.

funkyman

Thanx Pyro, but the surface skimming box was what I was talking about in the above post. The pump doesn't fit into it without a great deal of effort, and under certain circumstances.
Do you know how it's (filter box) installed to the skimmer? You clam it to the pump. So....now you have the pump "and" the filter box hanging off the skimmer with no support.... "with" the previously mentioned hose and clamps.

tony detroit

Hose Clamps.....YES
If it is not underwater, the plastic hose clamps are junk, use metal.
SECOND-as stated in the Beginners Equipment Guidebook
1. Mount electrical outlets inverted so that in the event water leaks it will drip right past them.
2. Run all electrical connections on a GFCI
Sorry about your mishap, I hope others will learn from it.

thegrog

Thanks for the info on this. Just put pliers to mine to tighten it down.
I actually used the skimmer box and did not like how it performed and how it looked. I instead used a surface skimmer unit made by Fluval. It costs like $12. The only thing is that I had to use a different peice of hose to attach to the pump as the one supplied is too flimsy and short. The unit is smaller, looks better and works great!

scubadoo

Funkyman.....Once your pump came loose...it dropped straight to the bottom with the filter box. THe box held the pump in place meaning it stayed in the "upright" postion and shot water out of the tank. I actually think the chances of this happening with a power head not attached to a skimmer box is dminished as it would most likely not drop straight but would swing on an angle as it dropped to the bottom or nearest "surface. Just a thought.

funkyman

Hey Grogster, could you give me a link so I can see what that filter box looks like? I may have to get one. Where'd you get yours?
Thanx for the idea.
Thanx for the input Scuba, but it's not a skimmer anymore without the filter box deal.