Remora C Skimmer Warning

C

crm13

Thanks for the heads-up, folks. I just purchased one of these units. I got the pro unit with the mag 3 pump. I just wanted to hop in here and ask, are you happy with the performance of the unit despite the hose clamp situation? I was gonna get the skimmer box also, but it seems monstrously huge. I did get the add on drain fitting thing. Anyone know if it has a plug because I primarily got it for when I am away from home for days at a time? I don't know that I'll use it all the time, I guess. Thanks.

scubadoo

I like the skimmer. I to have the drain attachemnt. I hooked up a hose and let it drain in a bucket. This time of year I am very busy and easily can forget to do something. I never though abut a plug

thegrog

Originally posted by funkyman
Hey Grogster, could you give me a link so I can see what that filter box looks like? I may have to get one. Where'd you get yours?
Thanx for the idea.
Thanx for the input Scuba, but it's not a skimmer anymore without the filter box deal.

This unit replaces that big, ugly box. I still get tons of skimmate and my reef is doing great! It is just a tube within a tube. The outer one is fixed to your tank wall, and the inner one floats on the surface sucking water in. It automatically adjusts for water height variations so performance is never hampered and the unit never runs dry. It is a neat, simple idea.
Just do a search on ---- for "Surface skimmer" and you will get several of what I am talking about. If you do a google search of "fluval, surface skimmer" you will get plenty of online stores that carry them.
Good luck and hope this helps!

pyro

Sorry - wasn't paying too much attention. Thanks for the heads up though, I might be getting one in the future - i'll be sure to check around before I buy :)

C

crm13

OH, I see... that's a cool idea. I have one of those lying around too that I used to use on my tank before I put in the sump. Did you notice better production with that piece on versus without it? As far as the noisy part, I had heard that the pro is less noisy than the smaller unit. Is there truth to that? Which unit do you have?

ripped off

just glue a maxi suction cup/bracket to the back of the box and fasten it to the wall of your tank use a stainless steel hose clamp I did these mods to mine when i owned one if you want a surface skimmer as mentioned above the kind on ---- I can give you one its used

funkyman

Thanx Ripped. I had actually thought about the SS hose clamp, but was told not to put metal of any kind in the salt water?
Can anyone validate whether this applies to stainless too??:notsure:

thegrog

Originally posted by funkyman
Thanx Ripped. I had actually thought about the SS hose clamp, but was told not to put metal of any kind in the salt water?
Can anyone validate whether this applies to stainless too??:notsure:

I would advise against most any metal in a salt water system. Unless you know you are getting a very high quality stainless that is meant for salt water applications (not easy to find one), I would not use one. The only metal in my tank is my titanium heater. Stainless steel is just that....steel. Steel is made of primarily iron. Stainless adds silver and chrome to the mix (along with a few other things).
As far as skimmate production with the Fluval, I noticed slightly better production. This could be because it is always getting the same amount of water to the pump regardless of water level in the tank. I am totally happy with it.
To answer crm13's ?, I have the Remora with the maxijet 1200 pump. I think it is fairly quiet.

92protruck

after reading this thread and my mag 3 falling off once already I am off to buy titanium hose clamps. Anybody see a problem with titanium clamps? Hard to find but they are out there and can be ordered online.

funkyman

Hmmm. I looked on a certain auction site, and noticed the Remora's (quite a few used ones were for sale) were equipped with either the Mag-3 (basically a pond pump), or the Maxi-Jet 1200 whcih is of course a powerhead. I have the Mag-3.
I wasn't given this option, but a powerhead sure makes a lot more sense just due to weight alone. Then there's the added benefit of being able to keep it stationary / supported with suction cups which most powerheads come with.
The Mag-3 is rated for 350 GPH, but I also have some new Aqua C 802's that due 400 GPH. I think between the powerhead substitution, and the filter box substitution this "may" work. If not, I'm pretty sure the whole thing's going back.
What does everyone else use for in water clamping if traditional hose clamps can't be used??

thegrog

If you can't find plastic ones to work, then go with titanium.
I agree with funkyman in that using a powerhead makes more sense. Just that with the Remora, there is not enough room to attach the powerhead to the skimmer and to the tank using the attachments. However, if it is not in a box, then if it does come off the hose, it will blow around the tank rather than water to the wall and ceiling.

ripped off

Ill sell ya a 29 gal sump for 40.00 buy a overflow box and put that aquac in the sump then attach the hose with a clamp(stainless) oh yeah youll need a return pump.You could purchase a sqwd and get all the power heads out of the tank and get rid of that lamiter flow thats my 2 pennies

92protruck

I'm going with the titanium clamps then. I will feel better. You're right Grog, my mag 3 fell to the bottom of the tank and water did not shoot out....but....it was no picnic either. The weight of the pump falling from a tall tank knocked over nearly everything on that side of the tank, colt, polyps, rock etc. and talk about sand storm! This time I am trying to fasten the electric cord to the bank of the tank stand (put a screw in the stand and tie wrap the cord to the screw) to keep the cord tight so the pump can't fall all the way to the bottom.

reefraff

I run a mag5 but have it sitting on a rock so it is hidden behind other rocks. I thinkI am going to make a sheild just in case. I don't trust plastic clamps.

effishient

I also have an Aqua C Remora Pro w/ a Mag3. Once, a few months ago, I came home to the pump making a strange noise and found it making a violent sandstorm in my tank as well... similar to what others have experienced. I do not have a prefilter box to actually skim surface water, which is probably why my pump wasn't shooting water out of the tank.
Also, in reference to a question posted previously in this thread, regarding the need for a prefilter box or not (i.e. the importance of skimming the surface water vs. water six inches under the surface) and though I have no basis for comparison as I have never used a prefilter box, my skimmer has been very good at getting "crap" out of my water. Maybe the cup would fill up faster or with more concentrated waste if I skimmed the surface, but I don't think skimming under the surface makes your skimmer TOO much less efficient. Aqua C advertises that having a prefilter box increases efficiency by 20% or more.
Lastly, again w/no basis for comparison having not heard any other protein skimmers... I would say mine is "moderately" loud. In other words, it's not nearly as quiet as the advertisements would make it seem to be. But maybe I just have high standards. :yes:
I'm going to check out the Fluval surface skimmers mentioned previously... if they are really only $12, that seems like a worthwhile investment.

thegrog

Originally posted by reefraff
I run a mag5 but have it sitting on a rock so it is hidden behind other rocks. I thinkI am going to make a sheild just in case. I don't trust plastic clamps.

I was thinking of the same thing. A small, plastic peice over the back area of the tank....just in case.

eel

:rolleyes: same thing happend to me had a sand storm in my tank.thank you thank you just used pliers on mine