remora c skimmer

trex

I was looking through the local classifieds and saw an add for a used remora c skimmer. I called the person and he told me it was 3 years old and he wanted 75 bucks for it. I have a 55 fowlr tank and was wondering if this was a good buy. I dont know if they improved over the years or how long they last. If anyone has opion about it i would love to hear it before i buy it.

kadella

Yes- I would think it's a pretty good deal - new ones are around $163. I have one and it is an awesome skimmer! :joy:

saltfan

Originally Posted by kadella
Yes- I would think it's a pretty good deal - new ones are around $163. I have one and it is an awesome skimmer! :joy:
True, but for a $160 you can get an even better one, CoraLife Super Skimmer. I think $75 for a used skimmer is to high. But its not my money.

dischirm

I think it is a great deal. You can give it a good cleaning and go buy a new Maxi-jet 1200 and have a brand new remora for $75. WHAT A DEAL! I would most definately do it if I had the offer!!!

uberlink

Sounds like a good deal. There really isn't much to the Remora that could go wrong or wear out, beyond the pump. I'd buy it, use the existing pump if it's okay, and replace it whenever it wears out. As someone else noted, the pumps are cheap. A new maxijet 1200--which will last for years--is under 20 bucks.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by SaltFan
True, but for a $160 you can get an even better one, CoraLife Super Skimmer. I think $75 for a used skimmer is to high. But its not my money.
I hate those Coralife super skimmer!!! But I may end up with one....lol..... I also think $75 for a used skimmer is a bit pricey, but that's just me....You have to remember the injector might go out on it and by replacing the pump and the injector, you'll probably be better off purchasing a new one.... :happyfish

symon

The remora is a great little skimmer, But Save your money unless you can talk him down! 50 bucks is a heck of a deal

There are better skimmers out there!
If you look around that dreaded auction site you can find them

nm reef

Many hobbyists have reported good experiences with that skimmer....but I'd sure want to see it in operation before I invested $75 for a used skimmer......

isistius

i just got my aquac urchin (same skimmer except for the sump, not h.o.b.) there are no "parts" to worry about, and the injector is just a hole that the pump pushes the water through. i paid $160 for mine with a maxi-jet 1200. and it's working great. $75 for a skimmer with no internal parts or wheels to worry about is a great deal in my opinion. if you can get it even cheaper, go for it!!!!!