remote deep sand bed??

isistius

any thoughts/ideas on how to properly make one and hook it up?
i am contemplating using the sand out of my 135 and putting it into a 5g bucket. after that, i'm kinda lost. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

wattsupdoc

I'm not sure exactly what your trying to do here. Or why even? If your going to place ALL the sand in the bucket, what good would that be? It seems to be more a hazard than a benefit.

wangotango

I think Anthony Calfo wrote an article about this in a past issue of Coral. If I can fine it I'll give you a little paraphraze.
-Justin

isistius

thanks wango - i found it on one of the other "forums". the damn thread is like 60 pages long. i'm actually considering using my 30 as a fuge instead, with a dsb. now i'd just have to figure out the plumbing, especially since the 2 tanks are in different rooms, and the wall that is separating them is almost 85 years old. sooooooooooo, there is no drywall between them. it's plaster and wire lathe. lucky me.
oh yeah, there's no room anywhere near the tank either. that includes in the stand.

isistius

i can't tell you how much of a pain it is. i can't even hang pictures on my walls. the plaster is stronger than concrete, until, that is, you decide to drill into it. then it turns to duct, even with a masonry bit. and the best part is the wire lathe behind it. especially when you start to drill, and it hits the wire (not in the spaces) and the drill bit slips off the the side and now you have a hole 3x larger than you actually wanted. what a pita

isistius

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
2 words rotozip...many blades...Ok 3 words.

and all i get is a pile of dust......

chilwil84

the nice part to having the bucket is the ability to throw it away when it gets old and starts causing more problems than its fixing with the dsb in your fuge it is more work to clean it out

turningtim

That article Wango is talking about is great. I'll find my mag and give you the volume #. Yes that other thread is huge but well worth the read. Are you referring to the -- thread or the one thats on MD?
I'm going to do the same with a RDSB in 5 gallon buckets. But I don't think it is wise to use sand that has been in the tank. I would think you may give a head start to trouble by having a nutrient sink to start.
As far as flow. You need just enough to move the water across the top of the sand without letting anything settle on the top. I'm thinking like a Maxi 1200 or something.
I'm thinking of plumbing the drain to be in the center of the bucket and the flow would be circulated around the diameter (vortex like). This is just my thinking and really don't know if it will work!
But as stated before if something happens to the DSB it can easily be removed from the system. I think AC refers to them being able to last a couple years and then just replace with more sand in the bucket.
This will be the only way I will do a DSB. To much trouble in a tank or fuge.
HTH
Tim

wangotango

If you're still interested, the article is in the October/November 2007 issue (volume 4, number 5). There is a picture of a amphipod with a background of Clavularia on the cover.
-Justin

chilwil84

dsb are known to foul with time (fuges are good)that is why barebottoms became popular next because after a couple years many people started having problems with there tanks with dsb. i dont remember the exact science to why they fail but they unfortunately do (has to do with deterous buildup, pockets of toxic gases etc) having it in a bucket allows you to get the nitrate reduction the be able to take it out when it fouls

turningtim

Originally Posted by chilwil84
dsb are known to foul with time (fuges are good)that is why barebottoms became popular next because after a couple years many people started having problems with there tanks with dsb. i dont remember the exact science to why they fail but they unfortunately do (has to do with deterous buildup, pockets of toxic gases etc) having it in a bucket allows you to get the nitrate reduction the be able to take it out when it fouls
Very well said. But also I think that a fuge can become some what of a nutrient sink and the critters that we put in there to eat the excess are not necessarily good for a DSB. The RDSB can with the proper flow be keep free of unwanted detritus and sand sifting critters that aren't good for a well functioning DSB.
This isn't hard data from me but rather quite a bit of reading Anthony Calfo.
It just seems to make sense to me. Being able to remove something that may go bad in the long run. Fortunately
I have the space but I'm sure that most won't......
Tim

apos

If I put 6 inches of sand in my sump, it would come up all the way to the leftside baffle, lol. I want to figure out some sort of accessory fuge system for a dsb: a bucket seems too low-tech (I want to grow pods and macro), but I guess it could work.