removal of Wet/dry filter.

miamishrip

hey - i'd like to eventually remove my overflowbox / wetdry filter... i just got a hangon fuge w/ built in Skimmer - plan on getting another skimmer but a better one because i heard integrated skimmer/fuge isnt that great of a skimmer - so that being said - how would i generate enough oxygen for fish? saying i use 2 300gph powerheads, the HOB Fuge w/ protein skimmer, and another good hang on skimmer. will all these working together be enough to fuel my 125? also i have 110lbs LR and 90lbs LS. Thanks!

sly

I'm confused... you say you have an overflow box? Does your tank have a sump? If so, most people want to add sumps, not take them away for a cheaper HOB filter.
Why do you want to take off your wet/dry? They are very efficient at removing ammonia from the tank.
How do you plan on using 2 powerheads in your HOB filter? Or do you plan to use them in your tank to stir the water?
There are HOB filters that don't have the built in skimmer. It would probably be cheaper to just buy a good skimmer rather than buy a filter with a skimmer that you don't want and then having to buy a skimmer anyway. You end up with more pumps, more noise and more expense.

miamishrip

good points :thinking: - i have considered keeping my wet/dry sump but removing the bioballs over a short period of time.

sly

Why do you want to get rid of your wet/dry? If you have a sump then there are many skimmers that are designed for sump use that work far better than any skimmer you could hang on back. You could also add a fuge to your sump by buying a cheap 10 gallon tank and plumbing the two together with a simple siphon hose. IMO, sumps are always better than HOB filters.

miamishrip

my reason was because when the water level drops in the sump my return pump causes a billion micro bubbles until i add water - but i think i'll remove my bioballs slowly, and add more water to the sump so i dont have to worry about it as often

sly

I had the same problem with my wet/dry. I just got to where I simply kept the water level in my sump higher. It covers some of the bioballs but IMO is still better than not having a wet/dry. It won't hurt the bioballs for some of them to be submerged in water.
You could also consider an auto topoff system. There are some avaliable comercially and some DIY plans in the DIY forum. That way you could have the best of both worlds... it would keep your water level in the sump at the same level and would add back what evaporates without letting it drop too low for the pump to pick the bubbles up.

sly

NP... one thing to remember. Always use a foam or floss prefilter pad for your wet/dry. You should mechanically strain the water before it goes to your wet/dry. If you do this your wet/dry will be totally maintenance free. Just clean out the pads when needed to rinse out the debris that they collect.
Like I said... I run my water level a little high in my sump (skimmer seems to work better at the higher level). This covers about 2-3 inches of my bioballs in water. It doesn't hurt them. They still work fine.