Removing aiptasia from an overflow box.

florida joe

I has some aiptasia growing in my overflow boxes and as long as the prefilter was keeping them out of my DT I let them live. Today was the time to finally get rid of them as they were getting big and multiplying. But how? I came up with this idea and it worked for me I will pass it on and wonder if anyone else has tried. I shut off my return pump which all but emptied my overflow boxes . I set up my shop vac for a wet pickup and vacuumed out the aiptasia It seems to work very well

ibanez

Sounds morbid--and like a wild ride. It seems to me that it could leave pieces of their foot behind.

kylev

Sounds like a good idea to me, I am curious to hear how it worked out cause I have used Joe Juice in the past and that can get spendy when they keep coming back around

florida joe

Originally Posted by IbanEz
http:///forum/post/3249169
Sounds morbid--and like a wild ride. It seems to me that it could leave pieces of their foot behind.
Please allow me to clarify. I would never recommend this procedure be undertaken in a DT it is a take on how I remove bubble algae in my DT. (Use tubing and siphon it our). In my overflow box the easiest and best way IMO is with the shop vac. As far as pedal laceration, I feel my foam prefilter will keep any remnants from getting into my DT. I may if the situation presents itself again use my glass scraper to scrap the aiptasia off the inside of my overflow box and then vacuum

mrdc

Sounds like a good way to get rid of them out of your overflow box as long as you got them good and not too much of the remnants get into your DT. Just might want to keep a good eye out for any possible growth in your DT.

florida joe

we will have to see. I think my prefilters in my oveflow box and in my sump would keep them from getting into my DT, they have been growing in the overflow for a while and not appeared in my DT as of yet

mrdc

Sounds good. I just know from my experience that they can be some nasty buggers and have a nack for surviving.

nanomantis

You could block the drains so no water leaves the aquarium and fill the overflow boxes with freshwater, nuking everything in the process. Leave your powerheads on for circulation in the DT for a few hours while the main drive pump remains off.