Removing an anemone, any other ways?

dekon70

Hi all,
I have a GBTA that has just gotten to big for my tank. It is in a BC29, I did not put it there, it came with the tank when I bought it from someone who no longer had the time to take care of the tank.
Here is what I have tried so far from searching the SWF board;
1. Power head pointed at the foot, did this for over three hours, did nothing, just made the anemone look PO'd.
2. Ice cubes on the foot, went through three trays of ice cubes, nothing, once again the anemone looked PO'd.
Do I have to keep the power head on longer? I really need to get this out, but I do not want to kill it by ripping it's foot. Is there any other way to get this out that I missed?

TIA

maddog0118

a credit card or - gently raise the rock out of the water then back into the water with the anemone upside down) over and over again. The anemone will let go of the rock in approx 5-10 min.

lexluethar

You have to have the powerhead pointing at the anemone for longer than 3 hours, try a day or two.
If all else fails just remove the rock that the anemone is attached to.

kaingers

I had to take my piece of LR out of my tank, chisel a flat head into my rock near the base of the anemone and carefully pry it off. I tried the powerhead deal, and ice cube, but neither worked very well. Best of luck

E

emeralcrab

Is it attached to a piece of LR? If so just move the anemone and the LR. When I bought my GBTA it was attached to a piece of LR at the LFS, so in stead of taking a chance of hurting his foot I bought the rock also. They did give me half off of the LR.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by EmeralCrab
http:///forum/post/2578044
Is it attached to a piece of LR? If so just move the anemone and the LR. When I bought my GBTA it was attached to a piece of LR at the LFS, so in stead of taking a chance of hurting his foot I bought the rock also. They did give me half off of the LR.
+1
You do not want to hurt the foot of the anemone in any way. You are better off just taking the rock too.

saltn00b

i hung the rock it was on upside down across the top of a QT tank, with the anenome hanging down and touching the water with it's tips. the weight of it and sensation of water starts to pull it down and elongate the foot. then put ice cubes in a ziplock bag and try to "freeze" the outer edges of the foot. they will change color, contract and let go.

raven63630

I use a turkey baster, just hold the baster about an inch from the foot and blast it, it should let go in less than 2 minutes.