removing biofiltration media to lower nitrates

keitho

does anyone know anything about removing bioballs or other biofiltration media in an attempt to lower nitrates? how is that supposed to lower nitrates? i mean, afterall, aren't more nitrifying bacteria just going to grow elsewhere and create the same amount of nitrates? the only thing that i could see is that removing the biofiltration media may prevent detritus from collecting in the filter, but is that really how this method works? i have a deep sand bed (3"-4"), and i can see gas bubbles trapped between the acrylic and the sand. i assume that this gas is nitrogen and that it is being produced by denitrifying bacteria, which seem to be more like a solution to nitrates than removing biomedia. if anyone can offer some info, i would greatly appreciate it. :)

q

You might want to look at how much you are feeding and cut back just a touch. If detrius is collecting then it is definatly going to add to the nitrates that are produced because of ecess waste.

crablegs

I think what Keith wants to know (as well as myself) is whether or not this really helps. I use a large filter pad over the bio-media and rinse it regularly, I don't think any bad stuff is making it past the pad. I'm still a little confused on this so if someone can enlighten please do. My understanding is that bio-balls are so efficient at converting ammonia and nitrite that of course you get more of the by-product...nitrate. I've also been told that live rock somehow removes ammonia and nitrite without as much nitrate being produced, in which case removing bio-media makes sense if you have enough LR. Can someone explain this further???
Thx...the other Keith

burnnspy

Wet Dry filters are nitrate factories.
Check out my website for indepth information on the Reef Basics page.
BurnNSpy