Removing crushed coral?

reeflower

I want to change my tank from crushed coral to live sand. I have live rock and two small fish as well as a few small corals in my tank. How do most people do this?
I have to add more live rock when it's done curing, and I am waiting until that happens to add the sand. How would I go about doing this?

lion_crazz

I would suck it all out of the tank with a siphon and put as much as you can into a small filter bag (Sera makes an excellent stretchy filter bag for 2.49). When I say filter bag I mean the same type of bag you would use for activated carbon. Then put the filter bag with the crushed coral into the tank after you put the live sand into the tank so that you can seed the live sand a little bit. I would probably also use some Cycle in order to help restore the bacteria and help prevent against an ammonia spike as well.

agarr

if you remove your substrate,you will put nitrates in your tank and it will kill your fish. Trust me on this;been there done that...you can put live sand on top of the coral,it is your better choice...Oh and listen to them(other members) yell!!!It does work fine; I have done this,its in my tank right now. All fish are happy,parameters perfect,my tank is great. Its so stable;i just bought new lights for which to grow coral.:joy:

lion_crazz

I am in northeast Philly and I work at The Hidden Reef. If you haven't heard of us, you should definitely check us out! You can't beat our selection and our prices.

lion_crazz

Originally posted by agarr
you can put live sand on top of the coral,it is your better choice...It does work fine; I have done this,its in my tank right now. All fish are happy,parameters perfect,my tank is great. Its so stable;i just bought new lights for which to grow coral.:joy:

It is NOT your better choice. Just because you have done it does not mean it is your better choice. The problem with the crushed coral is the long term effect, not the immediate effect. Before you state such a "fact" like you did, know why crushed coral causes problems. It traps detritus and dirt under it (which break down into nitrates). Crushed coral is hard to clean.
If you put live sand on top of your crushed coral, you are definitely asking for problems. Let's just use this scenario. He has a 2" thick substrate of crushed coral right now. If he were to put live sand on top of it, he will be trapping all that dirt that is in the crused coral underneath the live sand. You may test for 0 nitrates, but that does not mean they are 0. They are all being trapped in the substrate. How are you supposed to get them out when you have it like you described? You cannot siphon your crushed coral anymore because you have LIVE sand on top of it. You are not supposed to siphon live sand. You should only be agitating the top of the sand. Everything else should not be disturbed by you because that is where denitrification occurs.
And just as a clarification, taking out the substrate will put nitrates into the water column, because the coral traps nitrates under it. If you are removing it, you are disturbing it and causes its components to go into the water column. However, a water change and the use of Cycle will help remove it.

lion_crazz

Originally posted by trainfever
what's your real name? I am in there about three times a day. :D

Ryan..
email me... Ry84@MSN.com. I would be curious to see if I knew you. I am there 5 days of the week.

scubadoo

Originally posted by agarr
if you remove your substrate,you will put nitrates in your tank and it will kill your fish. Trust me on this;been there done that...you can put live sand on top of the coral,it is your better choice...Oh and listen to them(other members) yell!!!It does work fine; I have done this,its in my tank right now. All fish are happy,parameters perfect,my tank is great. Its so stable;i just bought new lights for which to grow coral.:joy:

Your coral will suffer at some point in the future due to high nitrates Not the best choice in my opinion...especially if this is a reef tank.
When folks post advice it would be of great help if they post the number of years they have been in the hobby along with the number of years a certain protocol has worked. Especailly if it is in the minority viewpoint.
Not trying to give folks difficulty...just trying to broaden my horizons. I have been in this hobby for 30 plus years and do not consider myself an expert.....always something new to learn
Always different approaches and some of my techniques/approaches are not mainstream.
DAys, weeks, months or one year is hardly a success in this hobby. JMO

lion_crazz

Originally posted by ScubaDoo
DAys, weeks, months or one year is hardly a success in this hobby. JMO

I fully agree with you there. I don't really think anyone can call themselves an expert in this hobby because it is always changing and new techniques are coming into it.

agarr

no,i am not an expert! but i just killed a whole tank of fish,this year sucking the coral out because the LFS told me to do it before i put in live sand,had i put the fish in a safe place first,i would not have felt so bad.Now maybe there is a way to do this,but my nitrates went off the chart, and my tank died.