Removing dead snails

stanton

I've had a couple astreas die over the past month and was wondering if I should let the hermits feast or remove them?I removed the 2 already that died just to be safe.

michaeltx

if your system is matured a small snail shouldnt cause problems but if its a newer tank then I would deffinatley take them out. but would let them dry out rinse them really well and put them back in the tank for the hermits to take the shell if the decide and they might leave the other snails alone. if the hermits are eating them when you find them let them be if they eat all of it then no problem but if the leave some take it out.
also watch those hermits some of them after getting a taste of snail will keep going after any snail you add to your tank.
Mike

katara

I removed mine after sseing that overnight over a dozen hermits really hadn't made a dent..not worth the risk.I think the flesh may be a bit too tough,Just my thought,though..I've never eaten snails of any kind.

stanton

I took the snails and let them dry out and put the shells back for my hermits.I guess I'll keep removing them.I would hate for the hermits to take a liking to them.I'm working towards a snail only clean up crew anyway.Well other than my sally's,they are so much fun to watch.Thanks again

michaeltx

youll have to watch sallys when they get bigger they can go after fish and many other things in the tank not all will though. smae for emeralds.
Mike

crazy8

Correct me if I am wrong Bang Guy, but don't the Astrea fall off the side and are unable to flip themselves back over. I just remember reading Kip's snail message and that stuck in my head. I have had a couple die as well. I don't know how long it takes them being upside down starving before they die, but everything else in my tank was doing fine.

S

sinner's girl

" don't know how long it takes them being upside down starving before they die" I may be wrong but I think they drown before they actully starve...
when we had snails we did a daily check and turned over the ones that fell.
left dead ones in tank for clean up crew (the hermits and stars had no problems)
hth

bang guy

Provided they are not preyed upon they should be able to survive a few days upside down. I think often they are starving and then fall from the glass and die. This is often misconstrued as them dying because they're upside down.

holloway

I have about 10 turbos and 20 bumblebee snails. I want hermits but fear the overthrow for housing. Would Sally lightfoots be ok with snails? What creatures are good cleaners and "play nice with others?"

jarvis

Originally posted by Holloway
I have about 10 turbos and 20 bumblebee snails. I want hermits but fear the overthrow for housing. Would Sally lightfoots be ok with snails? What creatures are good cleaners and "play nice with others?"

Sally lightfoots are hit or miss. I got one that hasnt taken anything down yet. However If I am messing around in the tank and is by my hand he has no fear. He even try to fight back.:eek: I think I might have to yank him when he gets bigger. Till then Inocent untill proven guilty.