Removing trim on tank?

I just picked up a 46 gal bowfront tank and i need to replace one side piece of glass and ive been trying to remove the top trim on the glass but i cant seem to get it to come off. Ive scored all the corvers with silicone with a razor blade but still cant seem to get it to come off. Any ideas?

bellanavis

Maybe use a heat gun, then put like a putty knife or something like that under it and pry it off once it gets soft.

alix2.0

one time i watched my mom take silicone off of a window and she used a fabric steamer to make it soft and then a putty knife to scrape it off.

Yeah i scored it with a razor and then pryed on it with a putty knife and it will flex away from the glass all the way around but i cant seem to get it to go up to come off. Ill try to heat it up i dont have heat gun so maybe some time with a blow drier will do the trick.

digitydash

Originally Posted by Stangracer85
Yeah i scored it with a razor and then pryed on it with a putty knife and it will flex away from the glass all the way around but i cant seem to get it to go up to come off. Ill try to heat it up i dont have heat gun so maybe some time with a blow drier will do the trick.
I just did this to my 150gal tank I resealed the whole tank.First I got a utility knife scored it inside the tank and out.Which when looking how far it went up into it it did go all the way up so I went and got my fish filet knife and cut the top half.Also the corners in my tank had a bunch of silicone in it so do alot in the corner.Then I got a 2x4 like 6in long use the 4 in side not the 6 in side.Lay it flush with the glass and top.Take a mallet and tap the 2x4 it might be hard but it will come off.Make sure you go around evenly so you don't crack it.A good way to tell if you got enough of it off tanke your hands and try to flex the top out a little if it don't move you need to do some more.Hope this helps.
GL