Repair scratches or build from scratch?

spline9

So I just got a badly scratched tank (used). I was thinking of doing one of 2 things...
1. See if a glass company can remove the scratches. (depending on price)
2. Rebuild a new tank using the frame and bottom glass from the scratched one.
What would you suggest? How much would you think it would cost to have the scratches removed? There are TONS of them all over (probably from cleaning), some are kinda deep, too.
How hard is it to rebuild a tank?
Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

spline9

55gal. $50. for the tank and stand. Not too shabby even if I scrap the tank.
Thats precicely what im worried about. Leaks. I was actually going to keep the frame, bottom and rear panes. You may be right, though... wouldnt be worth the headache to deal with seepages.
If I scrap the tank, maybe I can sell it for $20-$30 as a spare/fuge/quarrantine/hospital/terrarium/whatever. Keep the stand and buy a new tank... speakin of, about what $ ballpark should I expect for a glass 55gal tank? How about acrylic?

robchuck

As long as it doesn't leak, I would keep the tank and use it as a QT or a sump.
A new 55 to go on the stand is a good idea. If you shop around enough, you should be able to find a glass 55g tank for $60-$100. I've seen the Top Fin line of tanks on sale at Petsmart for $60 for their 55 and ***** occasionally has a $1/gallon tank sale. If all else fails, Walmart carries a 55 for $100. An acrylic 55g tank would probably run $200 or more.

spline9

Ah cool, thanks for the replies.
The QT/sump idea would be awesome if my tank was larger than the 55. Unfortunately its not. This was supposed to be an upgrade from a 29 gal tank. Heh. A 55 gal sump for a 29?

If I remember, I'm going to call a glass shop tomorrow and see how much it will run me for them to polish it. If its more than $50, then I'll just get a new tank. Maybe a LFS can sell it off on consignment for me for $20 or something. Maybe somebody else can use it as a sump. :)

spline9

Well if my other 2 alternatives are too expensive, than I may just do that. The only issue is room. I was going to move the 29 and keep it as a spare and replace it with the 55. I cant really have both in that spot at once. Since my apt is small, I dont have many other (decent) places to put it.
I'm sure I'll work it out. Heh.

killyah

Originally posted by spline9
Ah cool, thanks for the replies.
The QT/sump idea would be awesome if my tank was larger than the 55. Unfortunately its not. This was supposed to be an upgrade from a 29 gal tank. Heh. A 55 gal sump for a 29?

I have a 50gal reef with a 110gal fudge :D weird eh? should be the other way around, but it works for me.:)

spline9

I have a 50gal reef with a 110gal fudge :D weird eh?
Thats a lot of fudge! :eek:
Hehehe.
Seriously though, I'm pretty sure this is going to turn out to be a display tank. Maybe the 20gal tall will be a fuge ...despite how much I'd love to fill it with fudge.