replace carbon??

joyfnp

I am converting from fresh to salt water in a 75 gallon setup in which is have two canister filters: a magnum 350 and a fluval 350. Before I decided to convert, I had done a recent filter media change using activated carbon, specifically ammocarb, but for fresh water aquariums. After I put the salt water, antique rock, and coarse sand in the tank, it is still extremely whitish murky. I can see the rock in the tank, but it just looks white in there. Will changing out the activated carbon to the kind designed for salt water help, or can it wait until I do my first water change?

integral9

It can take a week for the water to clear up in a SW tank. Carbon is Carbon. If someone is saying it is 'designed' for SW tanks, then they are taking you for a ride. Carbon works the same in FW as in SW. It helps to remove amonia and other impurities from the water by absorbing. Like a catalytic converter. Some poeple say it's good to replace it every year because it can 'fill up'.

cgrant

I replace my carbon about once a month.
I run it about 1 week during the month and pitch it, its cheap enough that i dont want to mess with it, I do use a sock (not the kind you wear)
just makes it easier.

meisacao

I run carbon in my tank all the time and I replace it about every two weeks when I do my water change.

anonome

Originally Posted by joyfnp
I am converting from fresh to salt water in a 75 gallon setup in which is have two canister filters: a magnum 350 and a fluval 350. Before I decided to convert, I had done a recent filter media change using activated carbon, specifically ammocarb, but for fresh water aquariums. After I put the salt water, antique rock, and coarse sand in the tank, it is still extremely whitish murky. I can see the rock in the tank, but it just looks white in there. Will changing out the activated carbon to the kind designed for salt water help, or can it wait until I do my first water change?
I believe ammocarb is only for freshwater aquariums...you can not use ammochips in a saltwater tank. Check the container, I'm pretty certain you can't use it.
As far as the milkyness, this is normal, but usually you will see it clearing from the bottom first, can take up to 3-4 days for all of it to disappear. After it has cleared then you can change out your carbon.

integral9

Anonome is right about the ammocarb. I wasn't familiar with that product. Looks like its not just carbon but also something else mixed in with it.
Why do you guys change it so often? Is there a way to tell if your carbon is used up?

meisacao

When I did freshwater I only changed it once a month. but saltwater fish are much more demanding when it comes to health and water quality. I like to keep mine changed every time I do a water change so that I'm not taking any chances.