Replacement Piece for my 155

crazyaqua

I just picked up a 155 gallon bowfront made by All Glass Aquariums from my neighbor the only problem is that there is no bottom glass pane. I tried emailing All Glass Aquariums to see if they would sell a replacement piece but they dont. So I would like to fix it and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to fix it. Should i replace it with glass or with acrylic? Also what kind of cement do i use to hold the piece in there?
Thanks for any help

dogstar

Call around to local glass shops to see if they will cut glass from a pattern with the size glass you need. You will need help from a freind so carefully remove the plastic molding from the bottom and clean the silicon off the bottom edges of the walls, must keep the four walls as square as possible so as to not break the side seams, and lay the tank on a large sheet of cardboard or thick paper and cheak that it is square and trace the outside pattern onto the paper. take the pattern to the shop. If the tank had overflow you will have to show the shop where to drill the holes, if not , a good time to add them. When you get the new glass, lay it in the frame with the frame on a stong level floor and run a thick bead of 100 o/o silicon around the edges and then set the tank down into the frame. Any silicon squeezing out into the frame is good and the inside just finger smooth. Make sure you finger upwards in the four corners and get a good overlap of old silicon. Let it sit for days before test filling for leaks.

thangbom

um.. i have a 155 bg... it's got tempered glass on the bottom .. but u probaly get a thicker sheet of reg glass and it will do the same just heavier dats all... my glas is 5/8'' i think..