Replacement pump for skimmer?

mikester311

I have a Knop in sump skimmer. Right now it has a Rio 800 pump which is making all kinds of racket and keeps locking up. I want to replace the pump, but I'm not sure what else I could use besides another Rio and I really don't want to do that. I was thinking of a Maxi jet but I'm not sure if it has the venturis or the right conections on it? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

mikester311

jamesurq,
I was thinking the same thing about the Mag. I know they are great pumps but I don't think they have the venturis or connections for a skimmer??
Also, it's funny, I am having the same problem as you with my rio not keeping the water level up. All my crap collected just under the cup on the walls of the main part of the skimmer too. I wonder if it's because the pump isn't powerfull enough or if the pump is just messed up?

reefersx2

You could use a maxi-jet just make a hole in the screen and place a air line in the screen and be sure it sucks air. You could also use a Cap 800 similar ro a rio however it is grounded and a better quality. If you need pics to see what I mean let me know.

mikester311

I was trying to find a pump that wouldn't require too much modifications to my skimmer. Sort of a "plug & play" pump where I can take the old Rio out and replace it with something else. :)