Replacing a Clownfish

viper_930

My female clown died today.
Now I want to get another to replace her, but the male might turn into a female while I do that. How long would it take him? Or could he still be too young to turn? He is about 1 1/2 inches. I want to get a bigger one than he so it turns to a female because I want them to get to breeding age faster.

viper_930

My neighbor just came over. She has been very interested in my tank but doesn't haave her own. I told her about my clown dying today and about replacing it with a new one and she said that she doesn't think that my current clownfish in the tank will turn into a female. She has a book that says they change sexes when socially needed. Then she said that since there is no need for him to change sexes, then he will stay a male. Is this true? I always thought that if there is only one clown in the tank it will turn to a female.

ecook

No, a clownfish left solitary will turn female. It is socially necessary, because there needs to be a dominant clownfish....even if it is a lone clownfish.
It is scientifcally accepted that clownfish will complete the --- change in about three weeks.

ecook

Once they change, they change. They cannot go back to male.
When I had that situation with a pair of black clarkii, I used a regularl clarkii to keep him male until I could get another black clarkii female.
Luckily, I've not had that problem with my akindynos, chrystoperus, or allardi yet. I'm not sure what I would do then.
I would go get a female now, quaratine her for a week, and then quarantine them together.

viper_930

Once they change, they change. They cannot go back to male.
Yes, I know that. I meant that if they have started changing to a female, but has not completely changed, can they go back to a male or do they have to continue the process to become a female?

bang guy

Viper - I understand what you want, but unfortunately you're not going to get it.
I'm very sorry for your loss.
Your male has already started the change to female. There's nothing you can do about it. If you add a female now it will surely kill your current Clown. You're best chance is to add an immature Clownfish and let nature take its course.
Did you figure out why the female died?

viper_930

Did you figure out why the female died?
Thanks Bang. I didn't figure out what disease it had, but it was some kind of fungus disease but not brooklynella. I was thinking that I could have my LFS hold the new clown for a week or so to make sure it isn't sick before I introduce it into my tank.

viper_930

Is it possible that my clownfish I have right now is too young to change into a female? Is there a certain age that they have to pass before they can change? He is only about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2".