replacing bioballs w/lr

kmc

I have the same tank and the more I read and talk to people the more I am convinced to swap the bio-balls for live rock. I was thinking I would take the bio-balls out go to the LFS and get the same volume of rock. Do i need to quarantine the replacement rock or can I dump it in the middle compartment where the bio-balls were. Guy at the LFS also said he runs Chemi-Clean I believe it was. Sounds like some sort of additional filter.

24aqua

martini i have about 35 lbs in the tank i meant to say how much in the back where the bio balls go sorry

d-90

You will also need a light in the middle chamber to get the benifit of the LR, right??

btown

I run Chemi pure (not chemi clean) and live rock in my chambers. My chambers do get some light and there is a lot of live stuff in the chambers.

btown

I think we meant Chemi-pure not chemi-clean. Chemi-pure is activated carbon. Seems to keep my water clear. Your LFS should carry it.

saltyvt

you don't need any light to get the full benifit of the LR, but once you turn that middle chamdre into a fuge, thats another story. I was able to stuff a couple of lbs. of LR rubble into my tank though its a 8 BC!!! :scared:

demartini

just fill it up as much as you can. I don't know how your filter is but mine comes with 4 compartments and i stuffed little pieces of LR in 2 of them.