Replacing Lights, What to get?

john rambo

I have a 125 FOWLR. I have loads of Live Rock and the only fish is a very large Stars and Stripes Puffer. I have had the tank running for nearly two years. The rock has slowly been losing some of it's more desired colors and is turning to Yellow,brown, and green. It's warming up and there is a window about 10 feet from the aquarium so I haven't factored sun light out, would stronger lighting prevent this if it's partially whats causing the rock losing color? I've checked my water levels and they are fine. I think what it all comes down to is the lighting. The aquarium came new with the standard fluorescent bulbs you find on the most basic aquariums for sale at stores like Jack's. Any suggestions on what lights to buy for it? Seeing it's a only housing a Puffer and no corals I don't have to much of a desire to buy the best lights out there but at the same time wouldn't mind a decent light set-up in case I decide to go with corals way down the road.
Any input on these two lights?
-Current USA Satellite Powercompact Lights (around $220 for 72")
-Nova Extreme T5HO Fixtures (around $160 for 72")
Thanks for any advice.

scsinet

Welcome to the boards!
Are you checking calcium levels? Coraline algae is what gives the rock that color and it's presence depends on calcium levels. Most FOWLR folks don't check calcium, but if coraline is important to you, you need to keep up with it.

john rambo

You called it, I haven't checked the calcium levels. Funny thing is I bought Purple Up a long time ago and still have the bottle. If the levels are low and I decide to add it is there any chance of it harming my Puffer?
Thanks

R

reeftheif

No, it will not harm your puffer in any way. Its better to use two part mix but purple up will do.