Requested canopy lighting photos

scotty37

I am trying to figure out how to set up the different types of lighting in my canopy. Can some people please post some pictures of their different in-canopy light setups? Preferably with MHs and T5s, maybe some lunar. Does anyone ever use blacklights? They had a blacklight tank in this aquarium I went to this past week and it was freakin awesome!

indyws6

Greetings

You didn't specify, but I suspect you might be looking for DIY setups only. But, in the event that it helps, here are some pictures of the light I use on my 90 gallon Reef. It is a Current USA brand Outer Orbit (48") model with 2x 150w 10,000K HQI MH, 2x 130w Dual (420nm/460nm) Actinics and 6x Moonlights. Each light type is on a separate power cord, so using my ReefKeeper Controller, I can easily set the lighting schedule. It was a little pricey (compared to non-MH setups), but I should be able to support nearly any type of coral. So far, I am completely satisfied with this lighting system...

crt81

I'd like to see some lighting that is mounted in a canopy- I'd like to see some MH and T5 combos as well!
(sorry scotty37 if I am taking your post. It's just I'm getting close to building my canopy and I'd like to get a few ideas!)

indyws6

Greetings Again

I apologize if this is not what you are specifically looking for, but thought you might want to know that a purchased light system like the one shown in the photos above can also be used with a canopy - you don't have to build your own to get things to work. I had to modify the canopy supports slightly (the "legs" that sit on top of the tank) to provide clearance around the light housing, but the lighting system and the canopy both sit on top of the tank.
For reference, both the light system and the canopy are somewhat heavy. I considered "permanently" mounting the light to the inside of the canopy, but it would be virtually impossible for one person to take it off (or put it on) the tank. It's still a little difficult, but having them separate makes it possible for me to remove / install them by myself.
I don't have any pictures with the canopy open that show the light, or I would include them.
Hope this helps...

matt819

Tek makes ready fit retros now...they're t5. All you do is screw them in and they're ready to go. Doesn't get much easier than that.

reef46

Originally Posted by Matt819
Tek makes ready fit retros now...they're t5. All you do is screw them in and they're ready to go. Doesn't get much easier than that.
yeah but you PAY for that "conveniance"