res slime algae

anamilasti

ok so i think i figured out why i have red slime algae... its b/c in my sump/fuge i have a light growing my macro. this light is a common compact energy saving bulb from home depot.... i noticed the red algae growing on the macro so im 99% sure its the light buld.... what type of bulb shoudl i switch it with? and also once i change the bulb will th ered algae go away naturally or will i need to eventually treat my tank?

hot883

It is not the bulb that causes the red slime algea. It's to much nutrients in the water from feeding to much or the wrong things ie. brine shrimp.
To prove I am right on the bulb theory this is what I have done:
I keep a 20 long cycled in my basement with saltwater mollies in there. I do very little water changes and sometimes I do not remember to turn the lights off at night and sometimes on in the morning. I feed maybe 2 times a week. I have a small hob filter and some rubble in the tank. I am starting to develop red slime in there as I do not have a powerhead or very good circulation and the light is a cheapo from walmart that came with a 55 setup. I placed a clump of chaeto algea in there just for the pod population. It is now starting to get the red slime on it like yours too. Barry

anamilasti

i dont fully understand how u have proven that ts not the bulb.... ive only fed brine shrimp in my tank once... and it was about 1 week ago.. about the time of the algae.. but even before the red algae ive cut back on me feeding my 1/2...... and only feed high quality marin food..... could it still be nutrients?

ejensen

I not sure why you have red slime but when I had it, all it did is put a power head in and it went away.

chipmaker

Light source or type is not a bona fide source of causing red slime algae Its from lack of flow, or excessive nutrients....its a bacteria so its not dependant on light sources to propagate and spread.