Rescue mission.. need experienced coral keepers!!

litoallie

So.. a week or so ago I bought my very very very first hammer. I floated it while I did my water change.. and drip acclimated it for an hour + before putting the guy in there. The next day, the coral looked pretty bad.. and I called my LFS and brought my water in to test.. before I left the house.. I saw my peppermint shrimp munching on him!! He actually pulled a tentacle looking thing off my hammer. Ever since then...it's just been dying and now it looks like that. You can see that there is very very very very little tentacle left all shriveled up in the skeleton..
My water parameters were fine when the LFS checked it. Can someone please help me save this guy?!?

fishygurl

Originally Posted by litoallie
http:///forum/post/2711138

So.. a week or so ago I bought my very very very first hammer. I floated it while I did my water change.. and drip acclimated it for an hour + before putting the guy in there. The next day, the coral looked pretty bad.. and I called my LFS and brought my water in to test.. before I left the house.. I saw my peppermint shrimp munching on him!! He actually pulled a tentacle looking thing off my hammer. Ever since then...it's just been dying and now it looks like that. You can see that there is very very very very little tentacle left all shriveled up in the skeleton..
My water parameters were fine when the LFS checked it. Can someone please help me save this guy?!?

What are your lights? How far did you place him up when you first got him? The peppermint was probably only eating it because it was dying or dead.. which to me it looks dead i dont see any polyps or anything living in it.. imho you shouldve just temp acclimated him for 5-10 minutes then picked him up and put him in your tank. no drip acclimating because corals will produce a slime and when they do they cant just keep producing it and producing it eventually they run out/get tired and need more energy or food or something.. anyways then you probably put it in after it used all its slime to protect itself so when it got to your tank is was susceptible of all sorts of things..
Also how long has your tank been set up? What exactly are you parameters? Some test kits you should go and buy should be nitrate nitrite ammonia calcium alkalinity magnesium ph are the main ones for reef tanks. There are a lot more you can get too..
What type of water are you using?
Something has to be wrong with your tank or how you acclimated it for it dying so fast.. at this point since it got that far already its probably s.o.l....

litoallie

well when I first got it he had lots of tentacles.. He was definitely not dying when I bought him.. even before Iwent to sleep he looked fine. I'm buying water from my LFS, I believe they mix their own salt water - RO water. I know they don't put anything else they shouldn't put it there.. They are pretty trust worthy.
I have the test kit at home, but I was looking for a quick remedy at the fish store...
Ammonia 0
Calcium- 400
ph- 8.4
I can't remember the rest... I have T5 lights and it's about mid way up , mid flow. Do you think I should try to feed it...maybe it'll want to eat?

morval

feeding does help hammers grow faster but that one looks to far gone. if you get a new one try putting it on the bottom first then move it up after it gets used to the light. and i dot think ur shrimp kiled it either there scavengers.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by litoallie
http:///forum/post/2711161
U think some how.. if I tried to feed it.. it might take it?.........
i dont see any tentacles.. and plus is the mouth part still alive? i think its totally dead looking at the pics..